Pod Your Reef

Stoneys Nano. A moded 12 DX

stoney waters

Sure let's see a pic. Yes, I have considered a little flat black spray paint.

I can't figure out what I'm going to use for reflection. Can you just use an actual mirror? I figure the glass shop would probably cut one to fit for just a few bucks. I could have it go up about a 1/4 - 1/2" from the top so air can still vent .

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
stoney waters

Looks good stallen.

I have read that glass mirror is not your best choice in reflectors, but I can't remember the reason why. White paint on the inside walls would work, or maybe the inside of a beer can. It would have a nice curved surface. You could also PM me. I have about 8 square feet of the stuff I used. I would be happy to send you a little.

Looks good stallen.

I have read that glass mirror is not your best choice in reflectors, but I can't remember the reason why. White paint on the inside walls would work, or maybe the inside of a beer can. It would have a nice curved surface. You could also PM me. I have about 8 square feet of the stuff I used. I would be happy to send you a little.

I sent you a PM. The beer can sounds like a good idea. You are a mod genius :blink:

However, I think I'd rather use something a little more durable and shinier like the material you are using.

Hey Stoney -

I thought I might ask a little advice. My BioCube 8 has the stock lighting right now. It has one 9" 18W 10000K dual tube bulb and one 9" 18W dual tube Actinic bulb. My plan is to have some frogspawn and some shrooms. I'm a little concerned that I have enough lighting for what I want. So I got a couple questions...

1. Would I be better off replacing the actinic bulb with another 10000k bulb?

2. Also, can I use a 24W or even 36W ballast with these 18W bulbs to bump up the output? I realize that it would probably decrease the lifespan of the bulb. But I figure if the bulb will last 4 - 6 months it might still be worth it. Is this reasonable? What do you think?

Do you think any of these mods will give me the lighting that I need? The frogspawn will only be ~7 inches from the bulbs.

What you have would be enough to keep frogspawn alive, but I don't know if it would keep it's color. I've looked at those Biocubes, there is enough room for another bulb or two if your up to it.

As far as "overdriving" PC's, it doesn't work from what I've been told. I can't tell you why.... I asked a buddy(electrician) about it, he said it doesn't work like regular fluorescents.

stoney waters

I agree with Ray when he says that you have enough lighting for what you are planning to keep. I think you would be unhappy if you went strictly 10000 K. Actinic and blues really make the colors of corals fluoresce, especially in frogspawn.

PC's can be overdriven with certain ballasts, but can substantially reduce the lifespan of the bulb. In my current setup I am overdriving three 32w PC's with an IceCap 430. I am not sure on the overdriven wattage but they are insanely bright. The only drawback is that I have to replace the bulbs every six months, not because I think they are loosing spectrum, but because they completely burn out.

If you are really set on the idea of adding more light, I think our best bet would be adding one or more 18w lamps or upgrading the wattage with matching bulbs/ballasts. I am not familiar with how the BioCubes are configured so I cant say what the best option would be. Chris at Nanotunners might be able to steer you in the right direction.

PS. I am glad to hear the reflector material I sent you was useful. :)

PC's can be overdriven with certain ballasts, but can substantially reduce the lifespan of the bulb. In my current setup I am overdriving three 32w PC's with an IceCap 430. I am not sure on the overdriven wattage but they are insanely bright. The only drawback is that I have to replace the bulbs every six months, not because I think they are loosing spectrum, but because they completely burn out.

I'll make sure and thank that guy. He cost me alot less light! That bastage!

stoney waters
I'll make sure and thank that guy. He cost me alot less light! That bastage!

Alot less light??? I think the surface of Mercury is enough for you Ray. :D

• 2 weeks later...
A couple FTS's.

IMG_0706_1_1.jpg

Sits on my home office desk.

IMG_0708_1_1.jpg

Its has not had much attention lately because I have been in the middle of a tank upgrade. I am in the process of designing a pendant for a 36" tank. It is pretty innovative. I hope to start a thread on it soon.

-Stone

Hey Stoney, How's the new 36" project coming along?

Also, I was wondering what you think about your cold cathode tube. Are you just running it at night? Does it provide any extra blue lighting during the day?

Got a recent FTS? Things should look a lot different from when these were taken back in July.

• 2 weeks later...
stoney waters

Well... I hope everyone has had a better week than I've had. We lost power during the ice/snow storm last Thursday night and did not get it restored until sometime Tues afternoon. Needless to say when I woke up Friday morning to a cold dark house my first concern was for my family. With most of the area powerless, all hotels were booked or closed. I had to drive 30 miles to stay with my parents. All I had time to do was throw some blankets over the tanks to try and keep the heat in as long as possible.

When power still was not on Friday night I was starting to get concerned about my tanks. The outside temps were falling into the single digits and I knew the house was going to drop below freezing. After having no luck finding a generator, I made it back to the house Saturday afternoon with a few kerosene heaters. All the freshwater tanks looked OK but the Nano-Cube had dropped to 46 degrees. The heaters worked and I was able to raise the temps into the mid 60's, I also dropped in a battery powered air diffuser. It all was a little to late for most of the inhabitants. My Blennie, clown, peppermint and most of the snails were either dead or missing. All that survived was my Gramma and most of the hermits.

I am not sure on the condition of the corals, they are still mostly closed. Some of the mushrooms are opening a little, but all the zoas and GSP remain hidden. My pineapple brain also does not look so well. I guess time will tell.

PS. AMEREN SUCKS!! :angry:

-Stone

stoney-

that bites worse than frost. (..frost-bite...I know, kinda dry, but trying to bring a little smile in the midst of the anguish). I can only imagine the torment. your tanks always look so amazing. you have my deepest sympathy

-R

Oooooh Noooo!

My parents down in the STL area had their power out for several days.

Anyway, so sorry to hear that Stoney! I'm sure you're getting the ideas rolling on how you are going to recover and restock your tank. I can't wait to see what you do.

• 2 months later...
stoney waters
Wouldn't this make water flow over the back wall into all of the chambers at once?

No, The acrylic does not completely block the grates. Only enough to raise the water level to just behind the top trim. I did this mod before the nanoskimm was released. I think it was even before the emergence of the cassette mod. These types are more easily adjustable, but mine has always worked for me so I stuck with it.

• 1 month later...
10" Red Devil

Stoney I just gotta say your tank is one of those rare tanks that combines excellent DIY and amazing aquascaping/coral selection absolutely terrific you should enter the tank of the month contast at RC.

I had a question about the piccolo skimmer, does it do a good job? Do you have to fiddle with it a lot? I am thinking about doing this to my biocube14s middle chamber. Also where can you get one of those? Did you use a dremel do cut out the back wall? What where the measurements you used?

Thanks a heap!

stoney waters

Sorry Red Devil I almost missed your post.

I have been satisfied with the piccolo. I have tried some other skimmers but I always go back to the pic. I don't fiddle with it as much as I use to, I empty the cup and play with the air flow every week or two. I seem to have it tunned in pretty well. It does need a rock steady water level and a large air pump. I would recommend a pump with an electronic rheostat to control airflow, like a Luft.

Recent pic of skimmate.

IMG_1791.jpg

I cant remember exactly what I used to cut the rear wall I think I used a combination of a coping saw and a keyhole saw. A dremmel would work also.

They are difficult to find in the US, I had a LFS order mine from this place

http://www.qualitymarineusa.com/drygoods/skimmers.html

I paid $27.

Thanks for the complements.

-Stone

10" Red Devil
Sorry Red Devil I almost missed your post.

I have been satisfied with the piccolo. I have tried some other skimmers but I always go back to the pic. I don't fiddle with it as much as I use to, I empty the cup and play with the air flow every week or two. I seem to have it tunned in pretty well. It does need a rock steady water level and a large air pump. I would recommend a pump with an electronic rheostat to control airflow, like a Luft.

Recent pic of skimmate.

IMG_1791.jpg

I cant remember exactly what I used to cut the rear wall I think I used a combination of a coping saw and a keyhole saw. A dremmel would work also.

They are difficult to find in the US, I had a LFS order mine from this place

http://www.qualitymarineusa.com/drygoods/skimmers.html

I paid $27.

Thanks for the complements.

-Stone

Thanks a lot! Wow! That skimmate is awesome!! Which model air pump are you using?

Hey one last question what is the measurment of the cup across the middle? The reason I ask is because I am using the biocube14 which might have more room then the nanocube.

stoney waters

I am using a Coralife Luft pump. I've tried a few others before I gave in and shucked out the cash for this one. It is powerful and easy to fine tune. If the air stone starts to foul I can just turn it up a bit. Now I can make an air stone last six months or more.

The cup measures 3 1/4" across. The lift tube is 2" diameter and the whole unit is 8" tall.

Hope this helps.

10" Red Devil
I am using a Coralife Luft pump. I've tried a few others before I gave in and shucked out the cash for this one. It is powerful and easy to fine tune. If the air stone starts to foul I can just turn it up a bit. Now I can make an air stone last six months or more.

The cup measures 3 1/4" across. The lift tube is 2" diameter and the whole unit is 8" tall.

Hope this helps.

Thats cool. You know I got one of those sapphire aquatics skimmers and it is really starting to kick butt after the 2 week break-in period. Got like a full cup overnight practically so I am going to stick with it. I was worried that it wasn't going to work hence the interrogation about the piccolo.

Thanks!

stoney im wondering if youve had any in/out flow problems by locating the second output beneath the stock skimmer? im considering placing one there as well and im concerned that it may cause some type of flow issue with the skimmer

stoney waters

I placed a Mini-Jet 606 in the bottom of chamber 1 and plumbed it up just like the stock return in chamber 3. I have no issues with flow restriction. In fact I have the probe from the chiller in chamber 1 also. No problems.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice tank stoney. I followed this thread over from your fuge light post. You have a nanocube but the mod is about the same. Very clean install. I could have made my light look a little bit better but I just threw together what I had at work and called it good. Gets the job done haha.

• 2 months later...

Archived