inTank Media Baskets

12g DF maximum lighting

jdp

What is the maximum lighting upgrade for a nanocube df? I bought one with the intention of practicing all the mods before splurging for a 24g dx.

df is the nanocustoms way of annotating the dual fan revision of the 12g. To my knowledge, it came out after the OG, but before the first DX version. It doesnt have the full splash guard, but has what appears to be pretty decent cooling fans.

I havent had a reef setup here, but i do have remnants from my last tank, i.e. 150w ebo heater, ice cap 660, ac 402 powerhead. If you have any interest in those, let me know. Also, if you would want to go in on some online purchases and split the shipping, that would help both of us out. I am about to buy my LR from reefscience (who would've thought Apex would have a decent live rock source).

Let me know if you have frags for sale.

~Jared

HI jared-

the DF is capable of doing 68w (in my "kit"). It is safely moddable to 96w (3x28w) but that gets pretty hot, and evap is high.

I limited the kit i offer for that tank due to increased evaporation.

If you really want to practice for your future 24g, a DX would be a better platform, since they share teh same splashguard configuration, etc.

Hope this helps

Chris

would a 2.24 upgrade be possible while keeping the original 24w? that would be somewhere in between your 68w kit and the 3.28w (86w?)limit. I am worried about heat issues, but I would probably be happy just adding one more bulb and practicing a skimmer mod and tinkering around with some other ideas.

Also, would an additional powerhead (similar to tigahboy's 6g) be a good option? I havent really heard much about dead spots in such a small area, but I do like the idea of alternating currents.

Thanks

you could keep the original, but the problem is that ballast isnt so good...

The ballasts that drive the kits are Fulhams (also what are in DXs). So they are pretty rock solid as far as quality and performance goes.

Dead spots can happen, and the second output mod is very good at getting the flow more randomized.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Is a 70w metal halide even remotely doable in the df hood? With the advances with the chiller, I was wondering if you have heard of anyone trying it.

Archived