ReefCleaners.org

Surface Skimmer Question (Probably Stupid but...)

mmichalik

Hey Guys,

I have a question about the surface skimmer mod. By the way NanoBob, that one you make looks REALLY good. But, here's my question:

Why doesn't everyone reduce the water level in the main chamber enough to let 1/8 of an inch of the intake grate be above the water level?

I did this in mine, after attempting to make a surface skimmer that didn't affect the water level in the back chambers and my surface is crystal clear. I have one sponge in chamber 1, that is pushed down just below the intake grate and I have a bag of purigen sitting on top of that. The RIO 600 that I put in chamber 3 moves enough water through the back chambers to skim the top very well.

If I am WAY off base here, please let me know and I will send NanoBob an order for one of his skimmers.

Thanks,

Mike

Cholesterol

The only downside I see with your solution is that you lose the benefit of about a gallon of water volume, and, depending on the level in the tank, you can see the water line in the display area. Most folks don't want that look, as it takes away from the overall aesthetics.

good point, although I can't say I've noticed the water level that low.

But, in all honesty, I don't think I've looked specifically at it either.

steelhealr

Hi...I agree with cholesterol...why lose the extra 'cushion' of one gallon of water in the tank. I think for most people, Doriftu's cassette cover skimmer works really great. SH

When using a skimmer the water level in the display never changes. By moving the skimmer up and down you control where you want the water to be. As evaporation happens the water in the back chambers drop, not the display. If you lower the water to go through the stock intake the level in the display drops as it evaporates. That for me is one of the biggest advantages of the skimmer mod.

Bob

The skimmer I made has long teeth to allow them to extend out of the water. This helps to clear the surface and also protects your inhabitants from getting caught. I simply adjusted the position of the skimmer to acheive the desired water level. My auto top off maintains proper level in the sump chambers.

showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=14253

NanoBob currently is pre-selling a skimmer mod for the Nanos. Looks like a nice piece of work - magnets hold the skimmer in place so it doesn't fall off when you turn off the flow for feeding / cleaning / etc.

Here's the thread location

www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58007

Bob has included some photos on that thread. You can also PM Bob from there to inquire about buying a skimmer from him.

The surface skimmer is needed, at least I know on the nc6, to maintain the proper amount of water in the rear chambers. Otherwise, they're overfilled and left useless. I can only assume that the nc12 has the same poor design.

Bob -

No big! Do I get "Nano Points" I can use later to purchase other "NanoBob Originals" for the recommendation? LOL! :D

Archived