Innovative Marine Aquariums

NC24 water temp?

DKreefkeepers

DKreefkeepers

My NC24 runs at 82.4 with no heater and no lights on. it wont cool down any more that that. I am running the stock power head in the back and an extera oscillating powerhead in the tank for water agaitation. What do yours run?

burtbollinger

mine runs 78-80...I have my cube right by an AC vent, which I have set at 75 degrees for 24 hours a day. Everything stock, except for a small powersweep pump.

DK, check your room tempture. i have 2 powerheads and some extra lights, without AC, my tank would be staying at 85, but im keeping my tank at stable 82-83

I live in the Metro Detroit area. Yesterday morning my tank started out at 78.8 F. Detroit got up to 92 F yesterday. I had all of my windows closed, blinds pulled throughout the day, a small box fan blowing on my 24G Cube. When I got home around 5pm last night the House was at around 77 F ambient, the Cube was at 79.5 F. As I opened windows the house temp went up, and so did the cube's temp. By 8pm last night the house was 85 F and the cube was up to 83.3 F. I cranked up the AC to sleep - the house was down to 65 F this morning, the tank was back to 78.8 F. It's going to be hot in Detroit again today - left the windows shut, blinds pulled, AC off, fan blowing on the cube. We'll see what's up when I get home. I'm lucky that my house stays pretty cool without AC through the day. After about 4 pm the sun starts beating on my roof, heating up the attic and the rest of the house along with it.

DKreefkeepers

I left my lights on all day today while I am at work for the first time. I will see how hot it is when I get home....

steelhealr

I guess I'm lucky...I have:

--stock pump

--maxijet 1200

--a hot 10 quartz halogen submersible fuge light

I have not exceeded 81 degrees. Funny thing..most books recommend 78 degrees but I'm seeing new articles stating that 80-81 is better. sH

DKreefkeepers

went home for lunch and it was at 82.2 The temp dropped a couple of tenths with the lights on.... wild

Chronicles

78 or 82 doesn't really matter, but @ 82 things will grow "faster" then 78. The big issue is the change from start/end of the day that'll hurt things.

I've noticed the last couple of days, when the temps were up around 83 in my tank, all of my clean up crew seemed a lot more active. I also noticed 2 very small feather dusters sprouting out of my LR (hitchhikers) for the first time this afternoon.

Hi: Just bought the 2005 model. I set it up with two pumps (stock in chamber 3 and Maji 900 in chamber one. Without lights ran 80 and with lights 84+. Talked with Chris at nano-customs and traded out the stock pump for another max 900. Now at the end of a 10 hours light cycle tank runs at 81. :). Thanks Chris for the help.

larry:) :)

DKreefkeepers

SO.... it is obvious that the stock pump is a heat monster... What is the best replacemet for it that runs cool?

Cholesterol

I'd look at the hydor L35 or the Rio 1400. Both are higher gph and fewer watts than the stock pump.

Maxijet 1200 is also a good option, though only rated at 295gph, whereas the others are 400+ (IIRC).

Archived