Cultivated Reef

2 month old 24g dx

nano-nitro

nano-nitro

Hi, I am new to saltwater and have been reading the forums for a couple of months. I have learned to take it slowly. I started this tank on April 1. I just added the first non-invert (fish) a lawnmower blenny. I have been wrestling with algae issues and seem to be getting the upperhand finally. I've got a handful of Hermits and probably too many snails. I used approx 20 lbs of Tongan Branch live rock. It seems like there is alot of rock in the tank compared with other cubes i've seen. My guess is that the Tongan Branch is less dense than other LR? I feel that I may have too much rock in the tank. Here are a couple of pics. Also, I have a pink sea urchin that has taken up a collection of empty shells and is using them as a hat. The shells were there to try to coax an aggressive blue knuckle hermit to take a new home. Should I just let him be or should I try to get the shells off him? Thanks for the advice.

Cholesterol

Looks good! I think the amount of rock is somewhat subjective - if you don't like the look because you think it's too dense, then pull some out. It's your tank, after all!

I see the cassette skimmer mod, and it looks like another return from the middle chamber? Care to share what you've done?

Pretty cute that the urchin is hoarding all the shells. If you can, I'd gently remove them and redistribute throughout the tank for the hermits....

nano-nitro

Thanks for the input cholesterol. I may remove one piece of lr from the back of the tank later.

I haven't made too many changes......yet. I am a genetic tinkerer. I replaced the stock pump with a maxijet 1200. I like the cassette skimmer except when I am feeding as anything that floats goes directly into the filter. I use the pictured rio 90 pump to mix things up a bit before a water changes. The last time I decided to leave it where you see it and it actually keeps the floating food in the main tank longer.

I am finishing up the second generation skimmer for the middle chamber and will post if it works as advertised (imagined).

Give us your temp, water parameters (nitrate / phosphate, light config and cycle, and saltwater source(mix it yourself / LFS. How much (in)direct light from the windows (first pic) is your tank getting?

Hi LVReefer.

The temp of the tank ranges from 78-81.

Nitrates are running approx 15. I am considering pulling the sponge in chamber 1 to see if that helps.

I do not have a test for phosphates yet.

I am running the stock light configuration from 10am to 10pm.

I use saltwater form the lfs but am considering mixing.

The tank gets a moderate amount of ambient sunlight from the windows. One thing that i don't understand is why the algae on the glass seems to grow mostly where the pump discharge hits it the most?

Any Ideas?

If I add the 3rd 36w pc upgrade from nanocustoms can I have a Bubbletip Anemone?

I also switched to mysis shrimp for feeding and they stay in the water column better for the 2 perculas (New).

Archived