Innovative Marine Aquariums

2.5 gallon tank okay for a mantis shrimp?

zroeder

I'm considering setting up a tank for a mantis shrimp, and I know that the different species grow to different sizes. However, I've never seen a recommended tank size. I've read about people setting up the Red Sea Aqua Vase, but that seems too small for a fully grown mantis. I'm getting a 2.5 gallon pico this Wednesday, but I would also gladly buy a 5 gallon for a mantis if it needed it.

Edit: do they destroy corals?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, don´t know if they do, i´ve only heard that they usually eat small fish, other shrimp, but maybe they will harass them.

I have a mantis in my 30 gal. he is always hinding, so i think they will need some places to.

SoCal Reefer

For a mantis i would go with a 5 gallon. If you want a peacock they ususally get the biggest and for a peacock i would get a 10g. Yellow and grey mantis are smaller and a 5g should be good. They dont eat coral and if/when you put coral in put it in befor so it dosent attack you when you place coral.And before getting one do some research so you can get the names of the smaller mantis species (sorry i couldnt help there)

Bret

Archived