inTank Media Baskets

Livestock in the back compartments

PaulP

I have a sally lightfoot that has decided the rear compartments are her domain.

My NanoCube is a first generation type, the clear light shield does not line up with the back wall so I can't add foam barrier strip.

Has anyone else run into this? any ideas on how to keep the kids out of the alley?

Thanks

Paul P

artarmon42

Is she coming in via the grate or over the top?

(I don't have any experience with crabs doing that and don't really have suggestion to offer... so just tagging along to learn something :) ).

I have the same setup you do - the clear plastic light cover doesn't line up with the divider. I made some covers for my back chambers out of plexi-glass. Check out my gallery photos, there's a picture there of the 2 covers I made. The bigger cover with the wires coming out of it has an LED lightboard mounted underneath to act as my fuge light.

http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/showphoto...&cat=500&page=1

The covers slip under the back edge of the tank, and are held up by the clips I made. The front edge just sits on the divider for the tank/chambers. To make the clips, cut a small piece of plexi (about 1/2" x 1/4") and superglue it to a bigger piece of plexi )about 1/2" x 3/4"). Hold the cover where you want it, under the back edge, then very carefully superglue the clip in place on your cover - but make sure you don't superglue it to the tank. I also made a little handle to pick up the cover with - it's a lot easier to handle then.

Hope that helps -

sNEIRBO

I've cut slots above my upper intake to serve as a skimmer. But I think she is going over the wall, not thru the slots.

I looked at your pictures with the covers, but that would be difficult to do with mine. I've added a protien skimmer in the third chamber and I have cords and tubes running everywhere.

Paul P

Try creating a divider with plexi then. Do basically what I did, except make it stand on top of the divider. Use the same style clips to hold it place. I'd put the clips on the backside so they didn't show. Some careful measuring and a couple of hours of time, you should be able to come up with something.

fluidimagery

You need to be careful with the plexi or any cover over the back compartments. If you have fish jumping, the extra 1/8" may not be enough to stop them. If they get caught on the top... certain death.

A great solution:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=58442

I had the same problem... and originally thought plexi, but then changed my mind and went with the weather stripping. Works great.

You can see a different pic of it in this thread:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=58734

Archived