Top Shelf Aquatics

comments on Nanocube contest tanks

EtOH_is_good

EtOH_is_good

kind of liked how RDO keeps out others from mucking up a contestant's tank thread. can we keep comment on entry tanks here rather than in the entrant's personal thread?

just took a look at oogie's sqwd mod. just another good reason not to enter the open. open cube section is going to really rock. wonder how jmt is going to answer back.

I wonder how many tanks there will be in the end. I keep considering this contest, but wouldn't be able to effectively start until after I move (August 1).

So how many OPEN people are going to post mods to the tank

when they are made, as opposed to at the end of the contest?

I’m not opposed to posting my mods if they can help someone

have a more successful tank. (No guarantees on that)

I like seeing the mods, and I’m sure some will be amazing.

I will keep on posting mods as soon as I make them because I am in this contest for fun! Sure winning will be nice but I think real fun would be getting ideas from each other and try to build best tank you could or we could!

I really don't care about winning, well I do but you know what i mean!

In the end, all of our ultimate goal of this little journey is to make mods to help keep out animals heathy! Not for some gift cert. or free tank! Of course I will take it if it was presented to me! :P

Also I think it will be important to give credit to who ever we copy from!

I think you guys should post your mods and ideas as they come. It would be obvious if someone was trying to copy and it would help us people who may not enter the open contest get and idea of how we can modify our tanks!

Having a great time already with this contest...can't wait to read the posts or see the pics each day & it just started. I just hope that I don't see too many mods that I want to use on my 24. Over 3 months of modding with the water in and I don't even have a fish or a coral yet! Think my cycle is done?? Oh, and I think oogie is leading the open so far with that SCWD pic. What are the odds in Vegas??

Has anybody thought about just doing an fish-only system? This goes a little against what the contest SEEMS to be about, but what about a fish-only system using quality synthetic corals? As much as they cost, it would take about the same amount of time to get the aquarium filled with fake corals as it would with real, lol!

EtOH_is_good

i don't think fake coral's would show much progression. i'm hoping to see lots of aquascaping ideas. kind of bored at looking at rock walls and piles.

Wow only four OPENers and five STOCKers in the contest?

I expected a lot more, maybe as time goes by more will join up.

I think that wild custom MH job Oogie is working on has scared

off the other OPENers.

Originally posted by EtOH_is_good

who needs 6 months of progression?

There will still be a lot of progression and change over the duration of the contest.

Except for oogie, the other OPENers are being pretty quiet on the posts.

RedKnightSpecial

I am just a noob, but I am ordering a 'cube next week, so I will be able to start a little late. Is that allowed?

Originally posted by RedKnightSpecial

I am just a noob, but I am ordering a 'cube next week, so I will be able to start a little late. Is that allowed?

"The end date of the contest is November 30. All entries must be submitted no later than midnight eastern time on December 10."

My understanding is that you can start a tank anytime before Nov 30.

The longer you wait to start the tank the less progression you will have,

and you score could be lower, so get going ASAP.

Any admin’s want to comment??? ???

RedKnightSpecial

yeah..you just can't be sure from the wording of the rules, but your opinion seems to be the right one. Seeing as I am pretty much a noob, I don't think I will be winning, but I am gonna try!

• 2 weeks later...
Orange Crush
Originally posted by Rick J G

My understanding is that you can start a tank anytime before Nov 30.

The longer you wait to start the tank the less progression you will have,

and you score could be lower, so get going ASAP.

Any admin’s want to comment??? ???

Sorry, missed this post.

Your understanding is correct. Anyone is welcome to join at any time. The more the merrier!

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to say this, but I am starting to get bored of my nanocube. I didn't have the money to do a bunch of mods like I wanted, and the stock cube isn't living up to me expectations. Not saying I am out, just expressing my feelings (thought why I am is still a question ;) )

• 3 weeks later...

I am very tempted to enter this contest (stock). But that would mean my premium stuff (which I have very little of), would have to go into this tank. And all I would have in my modded nc12 would be SPS.

And chris isn't helping talk me out of it!

Originally posted by InuYasha

I hate to say this, but I am starting to get bored of my nanocube.  I didn't have the money to do a bunch of mods like I wanted, and the stock cube isn't living up to me expectations.  Not saying I am out, just expressing my feelings (thought why I am is still a question ;) )

sit back and watch it mature

Archived