Top Shelf Aquatics

Fire Shrimp (and others) Regenerative Abilities

DeeZeal

I recently purchased a Fire Shrimp from a new store near me. They were selling them for an excellent price and I wanted one so I figured why not. I observed him when I bought him but now I noticed that one of his legs and one of his main claws are gone. I know that crustations have the ability to regrow but I was not 100% sure with this. Any tips or info would be great (such as how long and if in fact they will regrow)... B)

Please note that I posted this in the beginners forum but maybe that was the wrong one. ???

I give the tank one drop a month, maybe up to two drops a month (one every 2 weeks)? My calcium level stays around 500 or so and I do a 25-30% change every Saturday. The skunk cleaners molt every so often and appear to be doing okay. I don't mind it being crippled cause I can give it a good home (I think) but I would like to know what it's regenerative abilities are...

I had the same situation a while back. I bought a blood shrimp missing one main claw and two rear legs. It took it 2 weeks to molt. It now has all the legs. The main claw was initially smaller than the other one, but after two subsequent moltings it is now back to normal. I hope this will help. I dose iodine every week.

Just wanted to let everyone know (who cares) that after doing a water change and adding 2 drops of Iodine to the water (as well as some other nutrients for the corals (strontium / molybendium / phytoplankton / etc...)). I noticed that the Fire Shrimp's leg and claw have regrown! I did not notice any molting but yesterday it was on the same spot all day long and today when I came home I noticed the new leg and claw. The new leg is pretty much the same size but the white part is a bit more translucent than the others and the claw is significantly smaller than the other but I am happy that it is okay. Thanks for the input and for anyone else out there with a similar concern just be advised that these little guys are troopers! ;)

It must have molted...I'm pretty sure they can't grow back legs without a molt, but when they molt they get all the legs and claws back they lost before.

• 16 years later...
2 hours ago, Chhadatr said:

My fire shrimp’s feelers came of. Do you know if it will grow back. I am really scared for it as it keeps falling over onto its side

Do you have any pictures of it? I’m not sure what you mean by “feelers”, are you talking about the front claws? Usually new limbs start to regrow after a fresh molt, and will continue to grow in size after each subsequent molt.