icemonkey24

12G Nano Circulation Help

icemonkey24

With my tank there are 4 "chambers" it appears:

Chamber 1: Bioballs

Chamber 2: Packs o' stuff thingies

Chamber 3: big sponge item

Chamber 4: Return Pump

Okay - So for the return pump i swapped it out with a Rio 606 - great pump. But I'm wondering what I should do as far as water flow ... now keep in mind I don't want to mod anything out too ridiculous that would make me remove half my water and find shelter for all my animals.

Just a nice basic way to improve flow ...

I've seen people suggest putting the stock pump (pointing upward?) in "chamber 1" and getting a y-adapter (specifics?). What about an oscillating pump??

Any help will be met with GRACIOUS thanks.

artarmon42

Two words... Hydor Flo. More details in my signature's link.

But if you want osciallating pumps, look at the Chauvet Chase Timer

LVReefer

I would go with the Hydor Flo as long as your pump gives you the correct amount of flow for the corals that you are keeping. If you went with the osciallating pumps you might run into heat problems.

mmichalik

atarmon42 - Do you think the Rio 600 will have enough flow to power the Hydorflo properly for polyps and zoo's? I may put in a bubble coral but not sure yet.

Please let me know what you think.

Mike

ashburn

4 chambers? are you sure??

Howf777

Yes atarmon, i been reading you hydroflow thread and was wondering whats the min gpm you think that you can get away with with the hydroflow. Also what attachment do you need to make to have it fit? Can it be done with a mature tank or it has to be an empty tank?

thanks

and yes the cube has4 chambers

artarmon42
Originally posted by mmichalik

atarmon42 - Do you think the Rio 600 will have enough flow to power the Hydorflo properly for polyps and zoo's?  I may put in a bubble coral but not sure yet.

By my estimation, the Hydor takes off about 50-75gph from the water flow. That takes into account the impeller/turning mechanism, and the fact that it bends water at the output (simple physics tells us there will be a loss). So I estimate that my MJ900 (rated at 230gph) pushes out equivalent to somewhere around 170-180gph. Further, if you take into consideration that the deflector also spreads water over a wider arch, it further dissipates the perceived "force" of the water coming out.

Simply by putting my hand against the output nozzle, my Hydor/MJ900 feels about the same, if not marginally less powerful, as my Rio duckbill/MJ606 (which is rated at 153gph).

I believe a Rio600's 200gph rating, in combination with the wave effect, would be barely OK Zoos. With inefficiencies over time (e.g. from not cleaning the pump, or crap getting accumulating in the Hydor Flo), it will probably be insufficient even for Zoos. If you can afford it, I would recommend you get something with more flow (230+).

artarmon42
Originally posted by Howf777

Yes atarmon, i been reading you hydroflow thread and was wondering whats the min gpm you think that you can get away with with the hydroflow.

Given that I think the Flo requires 50-75gph to power the turning mechanism, you'd probably need a minimum of 100gph pump to get any practical flow going :P

But to really answer your question, I think everyone should get a pump that is rated somewhere between 230 to 310gph. Clarification: The 310gph maximum is from the Hydor Flo's instructions.

Also what attachment do you need to make to have it fit?

The Hydor Flo comes with 4 (or was it 5?) attachment units.

There is one that neatly fits the Nano Cube's output nozzle.

I think the attachments come in pretty "standard" sizes, so they should fit most things.

Find the attachment that fits the Nano Cube, push it in. Then grab the Hydor Flo and push it into the other side of the attachment. Viola, done!

Can it be done with a mature tank or it has to be an empty tank?

I guess it depends on how your tank is setup (e.g. if your output nozzle is hidden at the bottom of a stack of live rock, that'd be hard! ;) ).

But overall I think it's very easy to do. In simple terms (not talking about Nano Cubes), it's really just an attachment to a powerhead nozzle.

Only suggest I might make, is to turn off the powerhead before inserting the Hydor Flo. Because flow turns the unit, you don't want to be holding it (and stopping it from turning) for fear of breaking the impeller/turning mechanism.

mmichalik

Great explination! Thanks for the reply.