Cultivated Reef

Fish in a refugium

gabe3eb

What negative impact would a damsel have in my refugium... I don't like them at all but my girlfriend has one and is taking down her tank and wants me to keep it... Would this fish hurt my pod population at all? Just curious, one of those things haha...

gaber

p.s. the stupid fish is starting to grow on me,,, but not in my main tank he isn't...

printerdown01

damels love pods, he will be very happy!! hehe, you might not be though! What type of damsel is it (if it isn't an aggressive species you might be able to add it to the main tank)??

My damsel (yellow tailed) is a digger. He's got a big cave hollowed out under the rock on the right side of the tank. He spits sand and rock all over that side of the tank trying to keep his house clean. But......I like him, he's really a character, an up in your face attitude and he begs for food all the time.

I kinda knew that, but my girlfriend really had her fingers crossed. Just needed you guys to back me up haha. On the way to fish store t give him back he was sooo freaked out. He was a 4 stripe damsel. But he was solid white,,, not doing well, so I um,,, took him home and flushed him,,, don't tell anyone...  Oh well, such is life...

gaber

poor judgement there I'm afraid often fish pale when stressed or when trying to avoid predators. he was prolly healthy and now he's dead. What a shame!

Toy

damsels when stressed change color...i gaurantee if you put him in a tank he would have colored up in less than 5 minutes. i see damsels do this every single day at work!!! poor fish...and could possible contaminate our oceans from unative species or possibly diseases. please dont "flush" things anymore....not even your old water.

Archived