SaltCritters.com

Starting a 12 gallon NanoCubeDX Questions and Suggestions

naruto420

How's it going. I recently bought a DX. I have been reading a lot of threads about nanos and I think that I have a pretty good understanding of what to do. I want to put 12 lbs of live fiji rock and find some very fine white sand. I plan on bringing my tank with me in August when I move to college. I have already looked into my limitations. I can have a 10 gallon tank and they didnt specify about salt or fresh, so I assume that my saltwater set up will be fine. Most people say that their R.A.'s take it easy on them because they enjoy their tanks. also i am alloud to use power strips, LOL. I plan on setting the tank up about 1 1/2 months before I move. I read into transporting the nano and I think im going to take out like 20% of the water and put some form of clear wrap on it and using rubber bands to keep it on very tight to avoid leakage. A question I would like know is should I put some holes in the plastic wrap to allow for the passage of air? and I also may not buy corals until I move in and let it cycle for at least a week or 2 (Open to suggestions on this). I am going to be using the 48watt CFL that it comes with. I want to upgrade the lighting when I move. What type of setup should I upgrade to? -Dan The Man

artarmon42
Originally posted by naruto420

I read into transporting the nano and I think im going to take out like 20% of the water and put some form of clear wrap on it and using rubber bands to keep it on very tight to avoid leakage.

Take out 20% of the water and you're hoping to move the rest of the 12G DX intact?

Ignoring how heavy the tank would still be, you'll most likely crack the glass from the pressure of the sloshing water.

There are quite alot of threads about how to correctly move an aquarium. Please do a search.

Originally posted by naruto420

I am going to be using the 48watt CFL that it comes with. I want to upgrade the lighting when I move. What type of setup should I upgrade to?

Light depends on what you want to keep.

Tell us what you want, then perhaps we can tell you what lighting you need.

I removed everything from my 12g NC except 20lbs of LS and 1 gal of water and it was still quite heavy to move from one room to another in my house so I suggest you remove more than just 20% water. Lifting your tank otherwise could compromise it structurally.

I removed everything from my 12g NC except 20lbs of LS and 1 gal of water and it was still quite heavy to move from one room to another in my house so I suggest you remove more than just 20% water. Lifting your tank otherwise could compromise it structurally.

It's a good thing people like you guys take the time to lend some of your knowledge or otherwise I would have done the wrong thing. Thanks for the tips I will definately do it how you are suggesting. Any other tips that would make a difference I would appreciate because I am definately a noob when it comes to a reef tank. Oh and I have a question concerning the upgrade to a larger powerhead for more flow. what would be the benefits of this? Would keeping that stock impeed on the growth of my tank?

Archived