ReefCleaners.org

[OPEN] oogie

oogie

Upright Joe

Great cube oogie.

I actually have to agree with chroming the exposed pipes connected to your SCWD in the back. That would be very monster garage. I would have to sit in front of my computer and applaud for a good hour.

I hope the metal halide works out from a heat perspective. It's a big step forward for nano cube mods if it does. I've been googling and haven't found anybody else who has tried it yet. You're pushing the envelope :).

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Upright Joe

I hope the metal halide works out from a heat perspective.  It's a big step forward for nano cube mods if it does.  I've been googling and haven't found anybody else who has tried it yet.  You're pushing the envelope :).

Thanks fot your comments.

Here is pic of MH running for past 12 hours. Seems like nothing is melting yet! Splash guard is bit worm but not hot at all!

hood15.jpg

nice nice. you should start ur own business and mod people's NC for them. like nanocustoms. partner up and rule the nanocube world

Thanks eveyone for kind words.

No I am doing this for a fun and quite honestly, my skill isn't good enough to sell it to someone else!

Anyways, I finally started to plumbing for this tank.

Here is some pics of plumbing being started!

sump03.jpg

sump04.jpg

oh god. your lighting is just..MAGNIFICENT! the led fans are an awesome touch. i might look into that :P

Thanks for kind words!

I finally added some freshwater for testing. It has been running for about 10 hours and no leaks! YAY!

Here is pic of whole setup.

sump06.jpg

Here is close up of sump including gravity fed auto top-off system.

sump05.jpg

oogie,

What's a gravity-fed auto top-off?

I know what those words mean, I just don't understand when/how it transfers the top-off water into the system.

Sorry if it's a stupid question, just never heard of it before you mentioned it...

embryoguy: Thanks for that comment!

InuYasha: I wanted to make sure I so I used 1 gallon kug to measure. Right now there is 11 gallon in the sytem without the rocks and other things in the tank!

artamon42: Gravity auto topoff is basically a air tight box containing top off water. Then its plumbed so that end of the pvc is at the waterline. When water evaporates, tip of pvc will be exposed to air since waterline will fall below it. Then air will enter the topoff box. Since box is air tight, in order for air to enter, it needs to release exact same amount of water as air entering, and it will do that until pvc tip goes under water.

Hmm, does that make sense to you?

Yup, makes perfect sense.

As always, thanks for the education oogie!

Any reason why people don't use that more often? Would seem to be much more cost effective than float-switch electronic/electrical ATOs.

Upright Joe

Doesn't that type of topoff require the freshwater in your reservoir to touch the saltwater in the sump? If so, won't osmosis cause the salt to creep it's way into the topoff water?

Also, wouldn't you have to wait until the topoff is completely empty to refill it? As soon as you open the top, it'll all dump into the sump right?

Maybe I'm not understanding how it works.

artmon42: I decided to use this type because I didn't want to add another powerhead. Matter of fact, I don't have any PH in the water with this setup, just one big 480 GPH external pump. I am testing it now, and it seems to work just fine.

Upright Joe: I have used this before and it didn't seem like topoff was turning to saltwater but, its good thing to find out. Thanks for that idea. Also, you can refill anytime. I have attached ball valve so I can just close it, take the box, fill it, then use it again.

Upright Joe

Gotcha on the ball valve - makes sense now. I would definitely set it up with saltwater in the sump and freshwater in the reservoir and check the salinity of each after a day or so. I'm curious as to what happens.

It's been tried before with the same idea revolving around those automatic refilling waterbowls for dogs and cats. The specific gravity of the water in each container would eventually equalize. Thus, the idea was scrapped because it didn't work.

Let us know if you've found a way to get around it, oogie.

hey for the top off, would that work if you had two lines in the air tight container one for the air and one for the water? put the one for the air out the top of the container an the one for the water like you have it (out the bott) but don't put the "water" one into the SW keep it above the water line in the sump...just a idea not sure if it would work...and I hope that makes sense to you..

Upright Joe

I get what you're saying - seems like it could work to me providing the diameter of the feed line was small enough that air couldn't get up it and let the water dump right out. Then again, it might not work because line that supplies the air might suck up a bunch of water dumping part of the reservoir and locking the system up. Ug, head hurts thinking about it.

What about having the feed tube end above the water line then capping it with some sort of a hinged flap or valve connected to a float. As the water rises, the float could mechanically cut off the feed.

I thinkn you may be right about the air line suckin up the water did'nt think about that...sorry oogie for takin up space in your thread...I was just tryin to help..LOL

Some thoughts on the topoff system and its effect on salinity...

The tank system is 12 gallons. The topoff is 3/4 gallons.

The concern is that salt will be drawn from the tank system into the topoff water, dropping the salinity of the system.

Starting with the worst case scenario, if a full reservior of .75 gallons was instantly, completely mixed with the tank water, the tank system salinity would drop by 2.1 points (i.e. from 35ppm to ~33ppm, or 1.026 to 1.024).

But, that much of a swing is unlikely to occur. The topoff water that will contain the most salt will be at the bottom of the PVC pipe, where the mixing would occur. That same water is what will be dosed to the system as evaporation occurs, so, salt that enters the PVC pipe will keep getting dumped out.

Another factor is that saltwater is heavier than freshwater, which discourages mixing somewhat. Any Black and Tan fans?

Part of the effect is dependent on evaporation rate. The faster the water evaporates, the less chance the salt has to mix with the fresh topoff water.

Something a little more realistic than the worst case would be complete equalization of salinity when the topoff was half empty (half full for you happy people). That would give you 1 ppt of swing, which isn't much, and I think even that would be a stretch.

There's my 2 cents, only the swing arm will know for sure.

Archived