Innovative Marine Aquariums

[OPEN] oogie

oogie

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Empiricist

Whoa...! You're horrifying me (in a good way, of course) but at the same time giving me a major DIY bug the way you're tackling all this. Very inspiring! What manner of dremel bit did you cut that back with? I forget what it's called. And I trust you had to go really slow?

the two holes are for fans, correct?

I love how this tank is coming along... how easy is it to work with bondo? I'd be worried about the repeatability factor of that mod. But I love the insanity!

alexwbush: Yes. They are for the 2 80mm pc fan. Bondo is not so hard to work with once you play around with it little bit. I am gonna paint it and seal it with clearcoat so tank water never touches the bondo. I will be wrapping the underside of the hood b4 I paint so tank water never touches the paint either!

artarmon42
Originally posted by oogie

oogiecube2.jpg

Mad modding skillz!

Seeing that quality, can we just declare oogie as the winner now? :D

Oogie: I've always been curious about putting in the aquabuys 70W retro kit into the NC6 hood. So as not to distract from this thread, can you please PM me with the problems you found?

oh man. i never knew u were one of those [HARDCORE] computer case modders. ur gonna blow everyone out of the water. Glad I didn't enter now. haha.

this is insanity! :) im very very impressed! great thread.

will the tank have a video monitor so you can send emails? hehe

absolutely amazing!

It would be cool if you built one of those reef keeping computers into the hood.

Tank looks great so far and that computer case is awsome also.

Hey Oogie

That link you posted is from my reef club when we did a demo on drilling glass with a dremel. Very easy to do really as long as you are patient. Just curious if you are in the club or from the area...or you happened upon the link when you did a google search.

Either way...thanks for the props! Your NC6 is looking very very nice!

billpa

thanks everyone for kind words.

billpa: I am from northern NJ area. I found that link from google!

artamon42: Reflector from Aquabuys.com simply will not fit in the hood. Its to thick. so If you attach it, then you won't able to put plexi splash guard.

Thanks

Not much update so far.

It takes lots of sanding but didn't have lots of time to actually do it.

Here are some shots of the hood. Sorry for a blurry pic!

hood04.jpg

hood05.jpg

hood06.jpg

Curves are starting get smooth! I hope I can finish the hood soon.

Thanks

ashburn: I will take full shot when its ready!

dhoffroad: Thanks for the comments

Maxvan: I used mostly dremel but the letters are cut with water-jet!

Bondo is a automotive body filler. They use that stuff when you have dents in your car.

I was at target today for my daughter's stuff, and I saw a letter size cutting board. It was cheap so I bought it and it fits pretty good on NC6. Now there is a slot for gripping which I don't like and since its curved in the front, board doesn't cover that very front part. I am not sure if i am going to use it but, I took a shot of it anyways.

board01.jpg

looks like blood stains on the hood. :o

what's the cutting board for? rock platform to limit pressure points? you don't want to use eggcrate?

you could also cut a piece of clear acrylic to match the bottom identically. seamless.

Awesome!!! You can always get another cutting board and Dremel the "patches" to cover the rest of the bottom. Only concern would be that it might not match evenly, but with a layer of sand/silicone and the craftmanship you've deployed so far... who knows? Keep up the good job.

MadTownMax

damn oogie - I didn't know you were so close ;)

I'm going to be picking up some schweet frags in a few weeks up in the Bronx if you're intersted - the guy has 100-200 corals to choose from :D

Originally posted by MadTownMax

damn oogie - I didn't know you were so close ;)

I'm going to be picking up some schweet frags in a few weeks up in the Bronx if you're intersted - the guy has 100-200 corals to choose from :D

Hey! schweet is my word! lol jk...

Archived