SaltCritters.com

[OPEN] oogie

oogie

Well, I had the radiator and block for my computer system. So not much on that. But, I decided to take that out because it cooled way to quickly and it made sump area really hot. I will just put it back to my computer system!

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oogie, can you tell me what a "cooked" lr is? X)

and that chiller is...wow.:o where'd you get such an idea and how does it work?

Cooked LR is liverock that has been kept in a dark container with no nutrients in order to hopefully pull all the organics (P04, N03). You keep high flow and a skimmer running so the bacteria will hopefully eat all the nutrients and the flow will pull out all the detritus trapped deep inside. It is a great for BB tanks I hear since it keeps the rocks from shedding in the tank (good for any tank really, especially if you have algae problems).

Great mods btw oogie! This thing is a gonna be an SPS monster!

Babycakes: DarkXerox has given you a very good description of "cooked" live rock. That chiller is powered by peltier much like in Iceprobes. Thats how sometimes we cool our CPU in computer so I thought I could apply it here!

DarXerox: Thanks for the comment and explaination of "cooked" live rock.

Here are some shots of HydorFlo installed using Maxi-Jet 1200.

full03.jpg

Here is shot of water deflector. Since HydoFlo is so close to surface, when it turns towards surface, it splashes water in to the splash guard of the hood. So I made this little deflector to deflect the water down in to tank without getting to the splahguard.

deflector01.jpg

mushroom head

Wow,very nice oogie. I like your BB so much. It looks better than i thought. Cant wait to see your tank finished.

Originally posted by thebrian

Be ready for tons of salt creep on that deflector...

I had that for about 2 days now, none of water gets on top of the deflector. So far I am not getting any salt creep because its continuosly wet. We shall see.

Travis: Some are live rock from LFS and some are base rock. Base rock is dried caribbean rocks.

Originally posted by lavalars

Amazing job oogie.  You are genius.  Scratch that...evil genius! :)

Thanks.

Here is shot after re-arranging rocks.

full04.jpg

Thanks

Thanks Shroom!

Now, I have discovered something interesting and it might help other nano-cube modders. I was worried about cube running hot with MH and all, but sueprisingly, temp has been steady around 80 with weather going up to near 100!

Here is pic of hood underneath.

hood16.jpg

I took off the splash guard, and hide all the wires with cpvc pipes.

Now, MH is protected by UV shield glass. I think because I have fan blowing in against water, then exiting thru the vent hole in front, it keeps the temp stable. I guess it does eveaporate more water then normal cube would but I think its small price to pay for stable temp.

hood15.jpg

I guess this will be hard for people with tons of PC jammed in the hood, but if you can manage somehow to suspend the MH higher like I did, and If you secure it, its good idea to take splah shield off and put a vent hole with fan blowing directly on the water.

Hope this helps.

Paint that PVC black! Come on, you spent all that time molding in the halide and you can't spend 10 minutes to spray the unsightly PVC black? :P

Nice tank, keep us updated!

Originally posted by alexwbush

Paint that PVC black!  Come on, you spent all that time molding in the halide and you can't spend 10 minutes to spray the unsightly PVC black? :P

Nice tank, keep us updated!

LOL, got lazy.

I think I have hitchhiker and it started growing. Not sure what it is. I was hoping its a SPS! I am talking about green thing in the middle of the pic!

id.jpg

Here is another aquascape shot. I finally figured out white-balance thingy so pic don't look so blue anymore!

full05.jpg

still not liking the base rock, sorry... I think you should take it out... Plus, it will give your sps more room to grow (I assume your going to have sps, because you have a halide...?)

Im going to have to agree with Maxvan. If you just invest a little more money and buy premium liverock to replace the base rock then your tank will look astonishing! I mean after all that work and money youve spent on modding the tank, you wouldnt want to blow it by saving a few bucks on liverock. anyways.. thats just my opinion

btw: great tank mods!

Base rock i constructed is not to save money. I wanted a structure, where it gave me flat surfaces to glue frags and have it encrust over. Also, I wanted tank to look full but not restrict the water flow and create many "dead" spots. I actualy put lots of thoughts in creating this structure.

Also I wanted to create low-nutrient envoirment and using base-rock sounded like a good idea. I added some live rock for bio-diversity, but I wanted bacteria to colonize on the base rock not algae. I "cooked" live rock for about a month, but amazingly there are algaes and other life-forms still on the rock. I just wanted to minimize that. As I add more corals hopefully my aquascaping will begin to show its pluses.

Thanks

i think you've done everything really well oogie, at the end of the day you've made it according to your "vision" of what you wanted.

brianemone: Thanks for that comment. Yep I am trying to acheive my vision!

ashburn: Hmmm, tad too long? LOL

Here is my first addition to my tank. My LFS had huge beautiful piece and I noticed two sections where it looked like it broke off. So I asked owner, if I can buy the pieces that broke off if they had it and he gave it to me for $20. I guess I am lucky!!!!

acro01.jpg

Thanks!

lucky indeed.

Nice thread Oogie, looks like you've put alot of thought into the NC6. Good luck, although I doubt you need it.

Thanks guys. Yes I really do like the frag.

I have couple more pieces comming in tommorow so stay tuned!

Archived