d_icemand

How much water flow?

d_icemand

How do you know when you have enough flow? i upgraded my stock pump to the hydor L35 which has a greater output. but i put a "Y" connection on to divide the flow. I dont have but plan on SC later. Do I need another powerhead? i dont understand where people put the second powerhead back behind. In my third chamber, i have the hydor pump and heater. 2nd chamber is a small sponge and carbon. 1st chamber is two sponges. I hate to put a powerhead in my main tank----kinda ruins the clean look. I was thinking of getting another bigger powerhead and adding a Hydor FLO Rotating Deflector for better flow. I heard the deflector works good but cuts flow down---is this true?

artarmon42
Originally posted by d_icemand

How do you know when you have enough flow?

Depends on what you have in your tank.

If you have softies, then it'll need less flow. Too much flow, it'll shrink and curl up. Way too much flow will cause them to detatch and/or rip apart.

If you have LPS, you'll want a wavy motion. Too much flow and it won't inflate as big. Way too much flow will rip flesh off the skeleton.

If you have SPS, you'll want to see the polyps fully extend. No such thing as too much flow for SPS ;)

I'm sure there are specific animals within those 3 broad categories that are exceptions, but those are the general rules.

Do I need another powerhead?

Don't know... you tell us!

I heard the deflector works good but cuts flow down---is this true?

Yes that's true. If you take the Flo apart, you'll see that flow rotates an impeller mechanism that moves gears that turn the deflector. As a rough guess, that mechanism reduces the pump output by 50-75gph.