Pod Your Reef

Cutting off the light

Chronicles

Chronicles

So using arts idea with the weather stripping, and seeing how webguy did it, I decided to run to home depot.

I got some of this

1.jpg

and put it on like this (2 layers thick)

2.jpg

busted out my tape that I used before to block the light

3.jpg

Put it back and noticed a small crack between the shield and the reflector. So I cut a thin piece the best I could, doesn't matter since it's smushed up against anyway

7.jpg

4.jpg

Closing the hood for the first time it's a little too thick

5.jpg

so weigh it down with something

6.jpg

$4 and 5min of my time and I now have zero light leak into the main tank!

Sorry, I forgot to tell you! You need to put a strip of it in the hood between the reflector and the splash guard.:) I found that after I put it all back together myself.

Looking good!

Chronicles

btw I reversed my fans to blow inside like chris said, I can now feel flow out the front side vents. My tank has only gone up .2F in 6 hours, normaly it'd be at 81F instead of 78.2F.

I am only running my refugium light around 18 hours a day. I just set it up on a timer and my stand up fan runs more or less 24hrs a day. So evaporation is minimal.:)

Chronicles

There won't be any evap since it's still closed system up top. I do want to mount a 42cfm slot cooler in each of the front side vents, they'll fit perfectly and blow massive amounts of air out without much noise, but I can't do that till I go halides, and I won't go halides till I figure out if I'm keeping the NC or not.

artarmon42
Originally posted by Chronicles

I can't do that till I go halides, and I won't go halides till I figure out if I'm keeping the NC or not.

It's not the destination, but the journey B)

I mounted my fuge light onto the back of my cube looking into chamber 2. Of course I removed the black tape covering the back first. I have no spill-over into the main tank but do have a little spill-out! Its a 27 watt 6500k. Just did it today so I have no idea about heat input. I was afraid the weatherstipping would impede the air flow across the surface area of the cube. Since I have a 70w MH retrofit that's also going in my hood I didn't want anything to obstruct the airflow for cooling. It also allows me to use larger fans to replace the originals (now have 4-Evercool 60x10mm fans I probably won't use) & gives me more room under the hood.

artarmon42
Originally posted by trumph

I mounted my fuge light onto the back of my cube looking into chamber 2. Of course I removed the black tape covering the back first. I have no spill-over into the main tank but do have a little spill-out! Its a 27 watt 6500k.

Sorry, but I am having problems picturing this.

Got a photo?

Black Tape? I am confused. Mabye he has the older version and he means that black cover? I am not sure...

27watts?... I could add that to my main tank area.

I'll post pics after I clean the lighting up, (plumbing's done). Have yet to tear the hood apart and add my 70w MH by following your directions of course! Basically I tore apart a sun-light lamp, changed the wiring a little bit and velcro'd it directly to the back of the Nano. Its a fairly flat light hood housing a 4-prong 27w 6500K PC. Put ballast inside the hood with the on-off rocker switch sticking out from under the hood. Haven't installed it permanently yet as its still in the proto-type mode. Oh, one more thing....if I knew how to post pics, I'd fire one up for ya. Haven't tried posting any pics yet so I don't know how! Maybe I'll look into it tomorrow.

Oh, Chronicles....I only have two little balls....one in chamber 2 and the other in a 20L that's a pod/quarantine experiment. But hopefully I'll end up with two big balls!!

Well, Artarmon, I finally got some pics up...they're in system set-ups right now. I haven't finished reading the T-man's article on posting pics yet so I didn't start a thread showing them with explanations. One step at a time!

Archived