Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

New idea for a pico

alans22

Well after my recent battle with temperature in Texas, ive been doing alot of reading, one thing that i came across is of particular interest to me, a cryptic refugium. Ive always been interested in sea squirts, sponges, and especially tunicates; so i was thinking a 2.5 pico with live rock left in the dark to cure and then lightly lit with blue LEDs. I know this is not very well thought out, but finding info on cryptic zones or the husbandry of tunicates and sea aquirts is quite difficult and i realize that there is a chance i will never see them turn up on my LR. But it seems like itd be a challenge and quite beautiful if it worked. Any info or thoughts appreciated.

You can actually buy them from online vendors... That might be a good alternative if you can't get any naturally. Best bet would be to find some gnarly uncured LR that was full of life... Might be pretty cool, though!

check out tyree's site (www.dynamicecomorphology.com). he wrote a book on the very subject of cryptic filtration.

i'm not sure if you could successfully set a cryptic system up in such a small system though ( >5.5g). the water dynamics and organics needed imo might require a larger setup.

i (semi)tried his cryptic system (e.g. cryptic refugium) but it wasn't very pretty. X) although i've had much more success as a shaded portion of the overall system (like you're suggesting).

you might want to try a over/under reef. have a lit reef on the top side but leave sufficient viewing room (it's for looking after all) underneath the rocks, kinda like a table top layout. that's the basic format i've gone with to promote sponges/tunicates. the proximity of those organisms to the photosynthetic biotope seems to be very helpful. the farther away i had it, the lower the success imo.

regardless, tyree's books are all very helpful. not the most enjoyable/fun of reads though but still informative and simple enough to follow along.

fishdaddy0831

I had a tunicate turn up on my rock.....Hot Pink.....very cool. Its been in there for about 8 months, and has seen some hade times. But its still alive. I dont think its happy with its location in my tank, but its not easly moved.

Archived