Cultivated Reef

ahhh 85.9F!!

Chronicles

Chronicles

Wow I came home tonight (11pm) go look at the tank, feeder lid is open, fan blowing at my cube, not even hot in the room....85.9F!!! Anyone up for some fried clownfish? :(

Did you try looking to see what your heater is set at or tryiing adjusting it..? i'll take the fish only if it's breaded.. :)

I have the same problem, all the time!!!! I can't get mine lower than 83, no matter what I do, I leave the lights on, I leave them off, I put a fan on the tank, nothing helps.

Mine hit 85F last week but a large fan across the room blowing air solved the problem. Its now rock steady at 80F. Ofcourse I have to worry about evaporation.

This has me worried. My 12g is on it's way and I've ordered an additional 24w kit for additional lighting. It will be in my basement office which is air conditioned but July-Sept in GA is not exactly pleasant. I may have to buy a chiller or design and build one.

Is the aircon on? My tank went up to 82.9......turned the aircon in the room on with the feeder lid open and now its 80.6......and my tank heated up around the same time, around 11ish.

You guys worry way to much. Your corals don't really care about your temps above the "norm." The key to keeping them happy is to have consistant temps. Instead of just trying to reduce temps, turn your heater up. That ways your temps wont fluctuate so greatly between night and day.

When my POS Visi-therm malfunctioned and heated my propagation tank to 94 degrees I was scared, until I realized that my corals wern't really that stress and it was just me worried about keeping my temp at "78-80."

Chronicles

Usualy my tank starts @ 78 which is where the heater kicks on. Every morning it's 78.1 (guessing where the heater kicks off). Kinda funny since it's a ebo and it has to be set to 75 so I get 78. So starting at 80 would be better? Not sure what ambient was, couldn't have been close to 80, or I would've been hot.

artarmon42

So any idea what got it up that high?

Did you have the lights on the whole time?

ps: I might have to retract your "Master of Cooling" title :-*

aleiodubua

My tank get hot all the time, I just set the heater up, and put a box fan next to it and it keeps around a constant 82. Better to have the constant, than a big flux, so I've heard. All my livestock seems super healthy, and growing well.

Chronicles

Yeah lights were on yesterday, from 7am to 11pm, so 16hrs. The door was closed, windows closed, no AC on, so it kinda acted like an oven. Ah well, everything seems fine, except my GSP haven't come out today at all. maybe they got fried :( Also this new pump which adds 7w can't help. I might end up pulling it out for summer, and you want cool art? I'll show you a giant NC ice cube!

artarmon42
Originally posted by Chronicles

I'll show you a giant NC ice cube!

:blink::D

Well i think you should cut down your photo period.

16 hours, beyond heating issue, is going to power too much bad algae...

I'm sure you'll figure it out.

But the community is great for helping out, keep us updated on what you do to fix the problem B)

artarmon42
Originally posted by Wobach

mine gets to around 85 every day now with my new 150MH.

Yup, my 70W MH is solid.

The 8 hour photo period moves the temp from 81 to 82. thumbsup.gif

Archived