ReefCleaners.org

nano circulation

mtnbiker

I have a nano 24g dx with several pounds of live rock, assorted soft corals, 2 damsles, and a goby. The tank has been active for about a month and is doing pretty well so far. I've read through the threads on this great site, and am impressed with what you guys have done with your cubes -- especially some of the mods. I personally find the circulation of the cube a little weak, and am wondering if anyone has added an additional powerhead (like an AquaClear 20 or similar) to move the current better for the reef. Any mods to the stock powerhead or is it advised to add another? Thanks in advance.

OK, thanks. But I'm not so hip yet on the nano lingo. When you say chamber #1, you mean where the sponge is, right? And by #3, that's where the stock pump is? So it sounds like you've replaced the stock pump with a rio, and also added another one by removing the sponge in #1 and dropping the rio in the bottom? Sorry, but I'm a nano newbie (but a quick learner). Thanks for the reply.

No, allot of guys place a powerhead behind the grate blowing out. I myslef after installing the Surface Skimmer thinks that's a waist of time since I feel the surface skimmer is more effective than having the extra powerhead behind the grate.:) You can always just use a more powerfull pump in chamber 3 and then get a y adapter so you can run two nozzles for more flow.

Thx. I'll look into the skimmer, but may use the Y-adapter technique you mentioned in chamber #3. Actually saw a pump like that on one of the nano customs sites or marine depot...

My $2.20 Surface Skimmmer I made from a box with a lid and hinges on it that was all cut off with my dremel. I got it at The Container Store.:) It was a Jewel Case to start off with!

63.jpg

burtbollinger

I just added a cheapo powersweep inside the tank underneath the intake on the left side...It seems to be working well, and it moves @ 160 GPH, that plus the stock 290 seems fine.

I'm actually getting ready to mod mine and put 2 eheim comact 1000 in chamber 3 and plumb one over to the left side under my surface skimmer. The pumps are rated at 265 gal. each and are small enough to fit in the one chamber. I then will have a hydor flo on each.

Originally posted by hvacguy

I'm actually getting ready to mod mine and put 2 eheim comact 1000 in chamber 3 and plumb one over to the left side under my surface skimmer. The pumps are rated at 265 gal. each and are small enough to fit in the one chamber. I then will have a hydor flo on each.

I like this idea better than the chamber 1 & 3 option. When you do this you don't really get a true flow circulation pattern in your tank. I mean, if it works for you then that's fine. I personally have one pump in the 2nd chamer and one in the 3rd. I have a bulkhead return installed at the top of the second chamber that's powered by the second pump in the same chamber. I think if I were to do it again I would probably do it as mentioned above by hvacguy or instead of plumbing a second return in the wall of the 1st chamber, I would again plumb it to the wall of the 2nd chamber. This method allows for a good circulation pattern, but also additional flow. Sounds like a winner to me.

Since my tank hasn't arrived yet, I'm tying to figure out some of these mods. I'm a visual person and need to see it to grasp the concept. I already have two mini-jet 606 pumps to go w/my stock pump. The stock pump will probably just be used to mix sea water in a separate container.

Originally posted by hvacguy

I just finished the 2 eheim pump mod. The circulation is amazing.I'm still in the process of testing water level in both the display and sump areas. Hoping to have tank set up tomorrow. If I can figure out how to post pics. I'll show a start to finish of the whole build process including stand, canopy, lighting, controllers, ect.

ecotoxlady

hvacguy: please do show pics of how you went about your mods to the nano. I am planning on buying a nano (have a 30 gallon currently) and want an idea of how to make these mods, especially since I am not, shall we say, mechanically skilled :'

Archived