• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• reef-luva

• yoshiod9

• Travis

• Stanley

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I used to on my 150 g reef system, but I also ran a 10 inch deep sand bed and ozone and calcium reactor. I have a 34 solana now and do not run a skimmer, no mechanical. Just 30 lbs of live rock and 20 % water changes each week.

If your pulling out a full cup of skimmate ever week your just asking for problems. What if you went on week vacation and your protein skimmer broke, that waste would just build up in your system that does not have the equilibrium to handle it. What if the skimmer goes crazy and spews the whole cup of skimmate back into the system (it has happen to me). Live rock does not break. I see a lot of people on here that do not realize that with a nano comes a nano bioload, which means means filling your entire water column with organisms is not only risky but stressful to the coral and fish.

If you want to add more life you need to get a bigger system or have a sump that has 1/2 times the amount of water in display, or just change the water more.

Noob question.

When I upgrade to a 35g, I plan on keeping mostly lps/softies with a few sps and a clam(once tank is well established), would I be overdoing it if I run a skimmer part time and have a fuge?

Edited by dorito
  • 2 weeks later...
It's not.

Show me what you got :)

I know it can be done without one but why would you want to? Skimmers are excellent at exporting wastes and keeping low nutrients is the key to peak colors.

I finally found a thread on skimmers that wasn't 3 years old.

I am looking for advice on to skim or not to skim. I have a BC29 with a HO Refugium, with Chaeto. I am running the light at night for 12 hours. I don't have much in the tank due to neglect for a year and getting back into it. I have had the tank running for 3 years, and went to monthly water changes for a year and lost a lot of my coral. Just didn't have time. Anyway, she is clean and stable, and I have a Aqua C Remora Skimmer sitting in my basement. Not sure if I should use it ( more modding to the tank) or just get an in-tank skimmer or just not use one. Sorry for the long post. I would appreciate any help.

BTW..I have been a lurker for 3 years and this is a great community that has taught me a lot by just reading. Thanks again in advance for any help.

Edited by LouDog3
  • 3 weeks later...
stoniereefer
Yes, a coralife super skimmer 65.

i also have a this skimmer. i have had it on both of my systems first i had it on my 29 show back in cali now its on my 37 never had an issue w/ it. it is the only form of filtration i have. no sock pads or carbon of any kind just LR, LS, and good old NSW. aka the berlin method. IMO a good skimmer and good lighting is all u need.

It can be done by increasing the nitrates in a system to about 7~ PPM. This will increase Chaeto's metabolism to make it soak up nutrients like there's no tomorow. But of course, you need strong illumination on the chaeto and alot of it.

All in all, a skimmer is less trouble. I personally love skimmers and their use. However they are not always mandatory, even for SPS tanks.

thadscottmoore

I run my skimmer at night - programmed with moonlights to come on at same time.

My Actinics come on at 11am and my MH comes on at 2pm and goes off at 8pm- followed by the actinics which kick off at 930pm- the rest of the time, my moonlights and skimmer are on. I generally feed an hour before skimmer kicks in. I dont use any other filter method either- live rock, live sand, protein skimmer, and a weekly 15% water change. (was running the stock rsm 130d protein skimmer)- swapped to the last prototype revision of the sapphire aquatics protein skimmer made for the red sea max line of tanks.

Edited by thadscottmoore