inTank Media Baskets

Sad sad day, a failure for me, a warning for you

alans22

I know you may be thinking after reading this that the problem im going to talk about is obvious but the severity and quickness with which it strikes is not. I have a 2.5 pico, beautiful orange zoos, star polyps, wonderful tiny bulb anenomes, and my prize the harlequin shrimp. Well i live in texas and if you didnt know it gets hot there, in one day while i was at work my pico heated up to around 90 degrees everything survived except for my harlequin shrimp, this happened in one day the temperature the day before was not too hot, but suddenly the temp skyrocketed and i was not home to turn on the A/C. This is my biggest failing as a reefer and i advise everyone to seriously consider temperature as an enemy to the pico reef.

brandon4299

Man I feel your pain. By reefbowl vase would be on its third and nearly fourth year of life were it not for a similar event. I have seen that even if your corals recover, heat spikes do such damage to a system that is leaves them algae-ridden and imbalanced for the rest of the time you keep it. One major point to ponder is the sandbed...it's the harbor of some of the finest balances in a pico reef design (with all the bacteria/worms/tiny pods etc)and is actually quite a liability because it will hold all the dead/stressed material in situ until it rots and continues to cloud the system. Without a sandbed, a stressed pico has a much much greater change of recovery. Pico sandbeds look good initially, I've liked them too, but in the end the scaling (feed/waste/maintenance regimens) required to keep them in order is just too much work if you expect to keep a pico alive (and clean) for more than 5 months.

Archived