Top Shelf Aquatics

? about Brown Diatom

FireFish21

FireFish21

My tank has been set up since 5/17

I have a 12 g Nano Cube DX with LR and LS

On 5/22 I began to get Brown Diatom ALL over my LR. I have been told this is part of the cycle, but WHEN WILL IT GO AWAY its ugly.

Also, should I get a skimmer for my tank? I know a gguy who is making some DIY skimmers and wondered if I should get one.

Would anyone else be interested in one of these I could give you the connection.

What about a power head? The only thing I'm using is the stock pump that is in the back of my nano cube.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Patience is one of the most important things a reefer should have too. Some cycles are shorter and some cycles are longer. Check parameters if you want to know for sure.

The diatoms will stick around for a week or two. Then, they'll practically dissolve/go away overnight. Diatoms are actually good for your tank because they are consuming nutrients in your tank.

As far as a replacement pump goes, lots of people (myself included) use the MiniJet 606. A Rio 600 (if you don't mind the brand) seems to work well too. They are very easy to swap out.

Well, I'll throw in my opinion based on what has helped me in the past..

Flow: Diatoms don't like flow. A bigger pump is a good idea anyway.

Filter: Did you take all the filter stuff out of the back (bio-balls, rings, etc) except for a sponge in bay 1? Be sure to clean the sponge every week. You might want to add some LR chunks to bay 2 for added filtration.

Water: Are you doing changes? If not, start. 20% per week using RO/DI water if you mix your own. Vacccuum the algae out when you do a change. At least it helps things look better.

Phosphates: Use something like PhosGuard to reduce phosphates.

Cleaning crew: If your nitrates and ammonia levels are 0 then you need a cleaning crew of snails and crabs.

Lights: How long do you leave your lights on? Cut down to say 6 - 8 hours of lights until the cycle is over.

Patience: You need bucket loads of this in keeping a reef tank. Your tank is going through the normal cycle. Next, you can look forward to green algae. The cleaning crew helps w/ this too. Don't rush things. Ask questions. Learn. Above all have fun!

FireFish21

I have yet to take out the filtration in the back.

I was told to wait until the cycle was over b/c it would be helpful to begin with... is this true or should I go ahead and remove it?

my lights were on for about 10 hrs a day but I already cut back to 6 and I haven't done any water changes yet.

thanks for the replies i will try the suggestions

Archived