ReefCleaners.org

Mechanical Filtration

fluidimagery

fluidimagery

I'm hoping to use the 2 left compartments as refugiums for my 12dx.

The way it is setup right now is that in the left compartment I have one sponge filter on the top behind the grate below that I have a piece of that Poly Pad (forget the name, purpose is to remove phosphates) then live rock rubble below that (about 15 small pieces) then in compartment 2 there is nothing right now. I drilled a new bulkhead for locline but I run the pump out of the right compartment on 15 minute alternating intervals. Both pumps (stock replacement and new pump) are MaxiJet 600s. 100w Heater is also in the right compartment.

So my questions are...

1) Would it be alright to remove the single sponge I have in the left compartment?

2) Remove the PolyPad(s)?

I would like to turn both compartments into refugiums. I'm not running a skimmer but I do plan on doing the cassette tape Mod for the grate. I will also need to install some sort of light mod for the refugium.

If I take the Foam and the Pad out..

3) Will phosphates be removed by the plants in the refugium?

4) Are there any good submersible lights that will work with a refugium or do I need to get something for the hood?

Here is the way I have my 24g DX set up in back:

Bay 1 - Stock sponge cut in half w/ filter floss on top. Cutting the sponge in half gives you 2 to swap out on a weekly basis.

Bay 2 - LR Chuncks & Cheato.

Bay 3 - Stock pump, heater float switch & ChemiPure bag.

I'd keep the sponge in bay 1 to trap some of the bigger stuff that gets drawn in from the tank. Just be sure to wash it out weekly. Dometimes I run a piece of the poly pad for phosphates in bay 1 but I put it on top of the sponge in place of the filter floss.

FireFish21

Wow, I just noticed the NC section.

Don, I'm taking your suggestion and removing the bio ball, rings, and leavinig 1 sponge

is there any special way to clean it?

also

i dont really have any LR chunks

should i go buy some and cure them in a 5gal bucket?

thx

(didnt mean to hijack thread-- my question just seemed to fit here)

fluidimagery

Firefish... Definately take out the bio balls. Any foam, bio balls, etc are considered "nitrate factories" meaning that nitrates get trapped in them and are removed very slowly if at all. You can take the carbon out as well, some say use it, some don't. Just keep testing every couple days if you take the carbon out. If you don't want to start a refugium out of the back, pick up some small live rock pieces and place them in the back along with some poly pad... I'll get the exact name for you later. I have to run now, but I'll check back later. AIM is fluidimagery if you want to chat.

FireFish21

hey

my aim is brit0211

i'll add you to my bl

i just removed the bioballs and ceramic rings.. for now i've left the carbon.

what about the sponge in the first compartment?

i'm getting the skimmer mod from the guy on this site

i may put a refugium in the back, how did you do that to yours?

any other suggestions for me?

thx

Archived