Cultivated Reef

Fish in Back Compartments

fluidimagery

fluidimagery

Just curious if anyone else had a problem with their fish getting into the back compartments of their Nano Cubes

I have a 12DX and thought I had lost one of my Yasa Hashe gobys, found him 4 days later hanging out in the back compartment... pain in the a$$ to get. Tore the whole tank apart in the mean time looking for him yadda yadda. While I was back there I found a few snails as well. Last night after doing my 3.24 mod from nanocustoms I find my small Ocellaris clown in the back on top of the sponge. Getting a little annoying. My water level is a good 1/2" below the top of the plastic.

Just curious if anyone has had any ideas to keep them out. I was thinking of fabricating something to go on top of the plastic but didn't know if there were any side effects to that with overflow.

burtbollinger

heheh...I couldnt find my bicolor blenny this morning, I looked back there but didnt see him. Now you've got me worried. Are they pretty easy to see when they are back in there, or should I have looked closer?

fluidimagery

No, I looked back there before I tore the whole back apart. I don't have any lights in the back so it's hard to see to the bottom. I pulled everything I had out and there the little bastard was... then trying to get him out was the next chore. I was finally able to get my hand in there and almost scoop him out. I made him sit in the corner for the rest of the day :P

that's why i take the black plastic thing that glued to the back glass off, so i can get a clear view of what's in the back :)

also add a cover for the back compartments would be a good idea too, which i add one to mine. so far nothing is going over yet...

um.. which reminds me that i need to take some pic of my tank and upload them here....... time time where's my free time...

fluidimagery

Thanks, I thought about trying to cover the back compartments. I'll look into that somemore when I get home later. Thanks

Easy fix. Happened to me as well but I found him and got him back in the main tank.

Ok, about the fix! When I installed my refugium light in the back I looked into something to stop light spill over in two areas. One was the space between the splash guard and the black plexi and the other was inside the hood. I purcased some 3/4 by 1/2 or a little large Foam Marine, Multi Purpose weather stripping from Home Depot. I doubled up on that stuff with two long trips running across the splash guard lined up with the back wall black plexi. That sealed that up with ease so fish can't get over and stopped light spill over in that one area. Of couse there was more in the hood that I had to work out. And I used the same material to stop that as well. It also looks nice!!

steelhealr

Web Guy..can you take a pic? I found my ocellaris in the back as well...thought he was dead also.....and...he can fit thru the slit to go into chamber 3. Thanks. SH

fluidimagery

I just cut a piece of 1/8" clear plexi and laid it on top of the back compartment. Looks sufficient enough.

newbiecarlz

yeah my clown has been doing this on a semi-regular basis too

webguy, do you have fans in the back of your hood? if you seal the airspace between the display and the sump area you wont get any airflow between the fans above the sump and the lights above the display ???

Ok, here ya go! I am sure the plexi works for that but mine also prevents light spill over when using a refugium light in the back. It keeps light in Chamber 3 and 2 only and does not allow anything at all to get into the back or light into the tank.:)

Again, I doubled up on the weather stripping and it works perfect and makes a nice seal. This was the thickest stuff at home depot in this material.

72.jpg

73.jpg

74.jpg

75.jpg

fluidimagery

love it, I just ordered a fuge light so my little concoction isn't going to cut it. Plexi laying on top of the filter is also a bad idea if the fish happens to jump on that. No mo fishy. Night

It is a box I bought from The Container Store. It had a lid and such, but every thing else was the perfect size. I wanted something a little larger than the cassette tape mod and something that looked better as well. It cost me $2.20!

I used my dremmel and took off the lid hinges and took of one side of the box as well. And then I smoothed it out and then cut the slots on the one side. It works perfect so far and looks great. It is held on with a Stainless Steel Screw that I had from my RC box. I stick it thru the grate! Also, suction alone will keep it up but it did not allow me to adjust it very well and would pop off easy some time.

63.jpg

69.jpg

LR and Chaeto are in Chamber 2 right now. You don't see it because the water level is down a 1 1/2 from the Surface Skimmer.:)

Will be adding something to chamber 3 in sorts of a tray or something to add a little more in the future.

Hydor Flo and pump are on order...

FireFish21

I just bought some Rubber Foam Weatherseal to prevent fish from ending up in the back compartments, but haven't put it on yet. I got the 3/4 wide by 5/16 thick... do you think that will be okay? I'll just double it up like WebGuy said.

Are there any negative effects to doing this?

I dont have fish yet, but I just wanted to make sure this wouldnt happen when I do....

I used the 7/16 which was the thickest and then I doubled up. You can see if that will be thick enough, but I am not sure. Mine after shutting the lid made marks in the stripping where it makes the seal. No Ill side effects come from this! It also was used with another piece inside the hood between the splash guard and the light reflector to stop light spill over from my refugium light there as well.:)

Also, the weather stripping is used for Marine uses as well - marked on the package.

Archived