SaltCritters.com

24 G Nano - Startup - Algae Problems

sNEIRBO

Keys just has the basic's but great prices on those items. I guess to make a special trip, no, but if you are in the area then I recommend stopping in and judging for yourself. I get the impression they are building the marine business... they have always had a good freshwater selection. They appear to be a family business that will not BS you. They may be able to order what you want but like you say... can't beat on-line. I go to Keys because my daughter like to window shop so I just make sure she looks into the windows I don't mind buying from. You may want to also try a place I used to visit on 14 mile south of Crooks... I don't remember the name but they had a good selection. Getting back to Keys, they have less than AD but better service.

So the Green Algae abated, the cloudiness started. Last night I noticed more brown algae coming back in the tank. This afternoon there's brown algae all over the tank again. Just like when the cycle started almost 4 weeks ago.

Here are a couple of thoughts, can someone tell me if I'm heading in the right direction?

1) I added about 3lbs of LR rubble to chamber 2 on May 30th. Any chance that LR has started to cycle and is causing the brown algae and the cloudiness?

2) I installed my RO/DI filter on June 1. I topped off the tank with my own RO water for the first time on Sunday (6/5). Should I have my RO water tested someplace to ensure that it's pure water?

As a side note - my chaeto arrived this afternoon (thanks sk8todd) and I added that to chamber 2.

Again, all levels checked out as zero this afternoon. The only anomoly was a trace showing of ammonia (the color on the test water was in between 0 and 0.5 PPM).

I decided a couple of weeks ago that I was not going to add fish or corals to the tank until I was positive there were no issues. The return of the brown algae is disheartening. Feels like I'm back to square one on the cycling. I started the tank almost 4 weeks ago and I don't feel like I'm any closer to adding anything to the tank. Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

As I said yesterday, I got my chaeto and put it in chamber 2 yesterday afternoon. As of right now, the water in my tank is markedly clearer than it was yesterday, and the algaes or quickly disappearing. Does chaeto really work that fast? Or was this just a peak / anomoly of my cycle?

Archived