Top Shelf Aquatics

pico fuge

drowning

I am not sure how you would fit an overlow into the .75g. If you kept them level with each other, you could create a constant syphon using tubing. Your refugium would house the pump. When water level raised in the main display tank, it would just level off with the "sump".

I think using two tanks would be great if you could hide the other one. Its almost needed for such a small tank, since space is at a premium. Heaters/powerheads/etc take away so much from such a small tank.

On the other side, its possible to get the clean work just by simply omitting some equipment. If room temps are in the 70's and fairly stable, you could go without a heater. The lights, assuming you go with the single 9w PC that is supplied, you won't have significant swings in temps. In one of the 1st editions of Coral Magazine, they focused on pico tanks. Very few had a heater/hob filter/powerheads. The smallest (under 1g), only used an air pump plumbed through the bottom of the tank for water movement. They lead the air-hose up through some rockwork in a "volcano" style idea. By having it in the center, mush more water flow is created, and the extra work of drilling/sealing the bottom pays off by having a completely clean looking setup.

Just a few idea's. I will be following this one!

If I understand your idea correctly, I don't think it would be possible to run gravity/pump idea without having a true overflow (to break the syphon). If it was just a little off in either direction, it wouldn't take long to either overflow or empty completely. In such a small tank you would have to be very precise. If you could create a syphon of some sort, then I think you would be much better off.

Not sure about drilling acrylic, might want to search the DIY forum.

neanderthalman

I use regular metal drill bits for drilling acrylic, and I've never had a problem. Just don't push on it very hard, and there's no need to. A sharp drill bit will make a mockery of any acrylic it touches. For larger holes, a step bit or a hole saw would do nicely.

Archived