Top Shelf Aquatics

Just won this on Ebay!!

Web Guy

Yes please let us know how it works. I finally got around to getting moonlights. They just came today actually. I would like some sort of lunar cycle. Either the one you got or the lunar tracker, which I have read good things about.

Bob

I too just won a single tube with the controller on e-bay as well. Once installed, I'll post pictures as well. Normally the one I won retails for $65 on the manufacturer's website, but I got it for $40. The one you won Web Guy normally retails for $85! If anyone is interested in these lights, its best to get them on e-bay (still sold by the manufacturer!)

• 3 weeks later...

I got the same thing comin to me. It looks awesome I cant wait to install it. Simulating the moon cycle from what I have read is extremely beneficial. It helps everything in the tank to have a calender and spawn and such. I paid full out retail so that sucks but I think it'll be worth it.

ecotoxlady

Wow, you guys have to keep us posted on how it turns out! I have a moonlight on my tank but not one that mimics the lunar cycles. If you get good results from your experience then I'll definitely upgrade my system!

The jury was out for a while....the verdict came in, it rocks! Immediately upon installing mine the clear tube turned slightly opaque. I thought this was bad, but upon closer examination it did not effect the part of the tube where the light is focused and passes through. I think mine turned because the heat got to it...I installed it between the two PC lights in my 24g Nanocube. The enitre system is great with the automatic moon controller. Right now I am near no moon so the tank is very dark. I can't wait a full moon again! Any other feedback???

steelhealr

Man..pricey. You can still build one for much less. Still..if you got the bucks, looks nice. I built an 8 blue LED 4000MCD for my 46G FW for under 10 bucks. SH

reef n ale

Did you fashion some sort of controller for it Steel? I agree with you on the price, but the controller is what interests me.

Rob

The money spent is for the controller, IMO. I think that the mimicry of the lunar cycles is just awesome. I could rig up some moolinghts for next to nothing, but I couldn't figure out the lunar cycles....at least not for less than $40 of materials and time.

leaffish75

I went to walgreens and got those blue led lights that you stick to your dash in your car. they work great and can be focused and swiveled all different ways. Best part it was cheap

Having a full moon cycle is VERY cool.

All kinds of crazy stuff happends, a lot of animals will only spawn when exposed to an apporitate lunar cycle.

That's why I bought it. A moonlight seems so simple but in all actuality its like the tanks clock and calender. For all we know our corals may not have the ability to aclimate 100% without some indicator of time. I cant wait to get mine.. hopefully tomorrow.

Edit: Got mine today. It looks awesome!

• 2 weeks later...

It might sound cool, and be a good indicator of your corals being adapted to captivity when they spawn. - but I don't know of a single person who has been happy when their corals spawn - it's an event that can easily wipe out a tank in one night - and that effect is even greater in our smaller tanks.

reguardless - I think the moonlights (and cycling timer) are great for the effect - I just wish people would start making more red ones so that we could watch the animals in our tanks that come out in complete darkness :)

Originally posted by Stanley

Having a full moon cycle is VERY cool.  

All kinds of crazy stuff happends, a lot of animals will only spawn when exposed to an apporitate lunar cycle.

MinibowMatt

I made a couple of red moonlights from LED's purchased at radio shack. they are the big ones (like 1/2" diameter) They are very bright.

Originally posted by MattC

I made a couple of red moonlights from LED's purchased at radio shack. they are the big ones (like 1/2" diameter) They are very bright.

I did the same - only I got a replacement for a 57 chevy tail light made out of LED's from Pep Boys - it comes w/ the resistors and LED's already wired-up and water-proof in a plastic shell, just have to attach an ac/dc converter ;)

Archived