Cultivated Reef

pico fuge

CRAVIN CRITTERS

CRAVIN CRITTERS

I wa thinkin about building a pico wth a built in fuge. I think it might look cool as a half planted tank half pico now that I think about it.

i think brandon's cube pico (femto-reef?) had a rear compartment as his refugium. i think he basically partitioned his little tank with a siliconed glass pane and lit the rear 24/7.

not sure on the specifics. it might've even been two separate cubes. i remember him fiddling with it a bit. i don't think it's still running tho. i think he took it down in favor of the rectangular one that looks like a miniaturized traditional reef.

i don't know if you'd need a refugium on such a small tank. i mean, what would you be keeping in the main area that you'd need protection from, for the algae or pods you hope to cultivate in the tinier fuge? ???

i think brandon's application was more RDP or algae scrubber than refugium.

brandon4299

Thanks for the reminder Tiny, that was a system of long ago and I have neat video of it. I'd really like to mail you a compilation tape of about 8 different systems because I've known you for quite some time now and the setups would have some working familiarity for you. PM me a mailable addy one of these days, I'll ship one to ya. It would also be neat to see a video of your projects sent back my way...

These pictures illustrate one possible approach for a refugium...I was using it primarily for oxygen production and nitrogen fixation, hopefully to prevent systemic hair algae. The pods did choose to congregate in this area, shows some element of preference in my opinion.

Seems to work:

Originally posted by brandon4299

It would also be neat to see a video of your projects sent back my way...

that would be "nano-reef's funniest videos" collection. X)

i'd like to see that collection someday. (PM sent) i always figured i'd see the whole collection in some book in the future anyways. i would have thought sprung/delbeek or one of the others would have approached you for additions to the new books. and maybe they have, i dunno.

yeah, i remember your stuff very well. yours worked, mine didn't. X) well, i didn't have the wherewithal to really devote the constant care/attention they needed imo.

the sealed systems, to limit evaporation, is still a stroke of genius imo. it solved one of the biggest issues i always had with nano/picos. i'm still looking for a pico-sized auto top-off. lazy reefer. :P

your stuff still looks great! B)

Archived