Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Where did everybody get their rock?

Cholesterol

Cholesterol

I've got my name on the list for a nanocustoms 24, and I'd like to go ahead and get the rock cycling.

Right now I'm thinking of the Kalenei form premiumaquatics, but before I do, any other suggestions? LFS stuff is okay but pretty lifeless....

Thanks!

You should ask Your LFS if they can get better stuff from the wholesaler...

Some times they'll just buy the base stuff because they think they can sell it and it's cheaper. If you tell them you want the better stuff, they'll pick it up for you if it's avaliable.

It might cost more then it would online, even if you take shipping into account. If you want your aquascaping to be perfect though, it's nice to be able to pick up and examine the rocks before you buy them.

If you decided to buy online premiumaquatics is good stuff.

I've only ordered a little bit from them, but I've only heard good reviews.

-Stanley

Nano-Cube Nut

If you decide to buy online, LR from liverocks.com is GREAT stuff. I got 30 lbs. of Gulf LR, it was TOTALLY covered with beautiful coralline. I don't have any brown/tan on my rocks, just all lilac, purple, pink, orange, red and burgundy!! And you really don't even have much of a cycle. A little die off from some orange sponge on my rock causing a small ammonia spike was all I had. I set up a new 24G DX Nanocube with LS and LR from them on 3-29-05 and by 4-8-05 I had Ammonia and Nitrites at 0 and Nitrates at 5 (Ammonia only spiked to 1.2 at highest). Cycle was done and all has been great so far (just be sure to test your calcium more often than usual on a new tank cause the coralline really uses it up), look at my profile to see what I have in tank so far. Only thing is you will get hitchhikers, take out the orange/reddish rock crabs, cause you'll never catch them later and they can damage corals while trying to get algae. I had 2 (I put them in from LR shipment, not knowing better) I finally caught one last week, still trying to get the other one. Bring up the Liverocks.com site and you'll see the beautiful colors you'll have from day one that most tanks take a year or more to get! And the cost was less than LFS even adding in the shipping.

Hope this helps.

Cholesterol

Went ahead with the recommendations and ordered 20lbs nano, 15 lbs Fiji. It will probably be too much, but it should give me some options as far as aquascaping. Any leftovers can go in the sump.

I'll take pics when it comes in. Thanks!

Archived