SaltCritters.com

Want to buy a 24g dlx cube but scared..

LVReefer

Hello everyone. I want to get some input from the experts here about the 24g deluxe nano cube. I can pick one up locally for $240. However I have read on other forums that they leak and have poor lighting components. I do plan on adding additional lighting but did not plan on replacing the existing lights. Should I wait and see what the 2005's offer?

Thanks!!

I'd wait for the 05's just to see what's new with them. Also if you wait you can research even more! Plus nanocustoms.com will probably get some 05's in too, so if you aren't the greatest at DIY, you could purchase it prebuilt :D

burtbollinger

eh, dont be skeered....I got the 24DX and its awesome. I'd say just go for it...I'm no DIYer either...upgrading pumps SEEMS easy, and I'm gonna stick with the stock lighting.

this hobby is just so fun, just try not to worry too much. If I'm not too careful I can let the worry get the best of me.

I have an '04 w/ the moon light LED's since March and have been very happy w/ it. The 12g's had some problems w/ cracking but I don't think the 24's had near the problems. As to lights, I have the stock lights (w/ added moonlights) and haven't had any problems keeping any number of corals. The '05's should be out soon and nanocustoms.com or nanotuners.com are both good sources. Talk w/ Chris (he runs both sites). Great sourcs of help in deciding the best route to go w/ a NC.

Thanks for the response guys. I think i'll try and wait for the 05's if I can. I want to get this thing started.

LV,

Go out and get the 24 dx. The stories you hear are very far and in between considering most, if not all of us have had a positive experience. You will be satisfied. see attached photo on my 24dx which is all stock.

I agree the 2004 24g is fine. This was the first time I upgraded lights. I'm defintely no electrician but it wasn't that hard. I've go no temp issues, no major evap issues. I've got 136 watts and r2 led moonlights. No salt kleep issues either.

I tried waiting for the 2005's also and 2 months later I have my 2004 24g set up and getting stocked.

Nick

Thanks again.. I'm going to be picking mine up tomorrow from instareef (www.instareef.com). Between your guys comments and the email I received today from jbj I see no point in waiting. I feel more than comfortable doing any of the mods that I might need to do down the road so the waiting is over. I'll get some pics up as soon as posible. SurfOnH2o, Nice tank! How long has it been setup for? That's great that tank is doing that well on stock lighting. Do you have any other upgrades besides the minijet?

Hey nice tank H20!! When I see stock cubes that look like that it really makes me want to take the plunge and buy one. I would be very happy keeping low light corals such as shrooms, zoos, softies and some LPS. I am thinking about the 12 gallon dx, but like Vegas, have concerns over reports of cracks in the glass, especially on the rounded corners. Is this a problem that was prevalent mostly with the 2004's or has this carried over to the new models.

Well, I just picked it up from instareef and took it out of the box. Thanks for all of your guys input. I like how clean the tank design is, but the first thing has to go is that pump.

hey i have 2 cracked 24 gal nano cubes that i have sealed up. I have not tested the two that i am selling. I have one for myself and i sealed it and tested it for 4 weeks with water just sitting in the tank and it never leaked. I will be using that one but the other two i will be selling them each for $75. Its an awesome deal, so if anyone is interested or want to know more about them get back to me.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by SurfOnH20

LV,  

The stories you hear are very far and in between considering most, if not all of us have had a positive experience.  

an incorrect statement. plenty of 24's have cracked. but only the very far ones that are in between.

Archived