Top Shelf Aquatics

fan makes grinding noise on startup???

burtbollinger

burtbollinger

every morning when I flip on the power switch, the vent fan on the right makes an awful grinding noise...if I blow into it really hard it stops, usually. I have no clue as to what could be causing it? has anyone else had this happen?

the cube is only about a month old.

thanks!

do you live in a dusty area maybe it needs to be cleaned. could also just be a defective fan. If you call JBJ they might warranty it. If not go to nannocustoms.com and you can buy a new one.

The bushings on the fan are going bad. It's going to get progressivly worse and eventually you'll have to change it. Not a big deal to change out.

burtbollinger

is it odd that they would be going out after just a month? It looks like the replacement fan is 6 bucks...or I can dig up my reciept and holler at jbj.

it seems like everyday, it takes longer to get it from making the noise.

burtbollinger

yeah, I read that on one of your posts...was it easy to replace the broken moonlight?

also, if I buy a replacement fan, is it "plug and play" type simple. I'm no DIYer, and I'm scared of electrical work, but it sounds like I don't have a choice.

I ended up running my fans off of a power adapter from radio shack. It was easy!! Now I have fan control speed and also I can leave them on when I run my refugium light all night. You can also just replace them, easy, cut wire, expose new wire, hook back up, I am sure you will figure that out.

And about the LED. If you look at the new thread below or above this about I won this on Ebay or something. I ended buying a whole new set up. It comes with a controller so you can run them 24hrs a day on the lunar cycle. You can also just use it like a light with different power controls.:) I should have it in a few days and will get shots of the intall. Should be easy as well!

same here! back right fan. dang jbj just got done rewiring the moonlights and now ive got this! oh well still love the cube.

burtbollinger

ive found out that if i leave it alone, the noise goes away after about 1 minute....JBJ emailed and said that some fans take a while to break in, whatever that means.

regardless, it seems actually easy to drop in a replacement fan if need be.

I just put my finger on mine to stop it and then let it go. Usually does the trick unless the fan is hitting one of the electrical wires coming out of the back. I have three pumps, a thermometer and a temperature probe in the back chambers and occasionally one of the wires pokes up into a fan. You'll know its a wire if the noise stops when you lift your hood and starts again when you close it.

(JBJ emailed and said that some fans take a while to break in);

Sorry Burt but that's the biggest load of crap I've heard come from a company, I mean I had to replace a broken cube and JBJ did so with no real problems what so ever I and really appreciate that but giving that excuse to one of their customers really drags!!! Look the fan isn't going to get any better, the reason it stops after a few minutes is the bushings inside the fan warm up and stop vibrating. But the longer they run the longer it takes for that vibrating noise to go away hence the bushing is just getting worse and worse until it gets to the point it has to be replaced. These are just simple PC fans and I've been dealing with them day in and day out for years now. Just replace it before it gets too to bad or it won't cool what so ever and just aggravate the crap outta ya. If you want to get real crazy replace it with a similiar fan but with bearings instead of bushings. Garranteed to never happen again. Now if I can find them with bearings I'd be in business, hehe. But they are out there.

LOL...They told me when I called anout temps issues that there tanks were suppose to run at temps of 84 or so and that was common. I could not take that as the answer and fixed it all myself.:)

I told them I would tell others and she said that was fine!

Archived