Innovative Marine Aquariums

LED Fuge Light - DIY

doncb

Im looking at these LEDs...im thinking of the ones from autolumination.com beacause they say they are 480,000 MCD with 24 LEDs and water proof. Think this will do it?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by TTU_reefer

Im looking at these LEDs...im thinking of the ones from autolumination.com beacause they say they are 480,000 MCD with 24 LEDs and water proof. Think this will do it?

THIRD TIMES THE CHARM, or do you mean your going to order three?

Three would be good because you could stack them on the back.

I have been using autolumination's 24LED white over my 2nd back chamber for about two months now, using a 12V adaptor bought from same website. What I can say is, they dont seem to be reliable enough, or maybe the pre-wired resistor is not big enough. For whatever reason, now I have only about half of them still lit. The first month or so has been fine, but starting second month, they slowly die one by one: start to blink, and do not lit anymore. The light intensity of the rest also slowly drops, now the rest has a rather dim light and I can tell the chaeto are barely surviving if not growing.

I also used a 3LED blue as night light, it has been doing ok. Maybe because I didnt use it as much as the 24LED white.

It's only one case here, so you may have better luck or you may not. You have been warned.

I would be very curious to know what luck people have with other LED products or DIY LED lights, particularly how reliable they are. Do they all survive and remain same intensity after a few months?

Rocko

I should add that I purchased the same light a month ago. I slapped a 12v adapter on it and ran it for about 3 days before a 1/3rd of the lights went out. I'm wondering if it's an overheating issue. I contacted autoluminations and they promptly sent me a replacement.

I haven't rewired it since because I decided to do the "naked back" fuge light mod. That's the one where the black backing is stripped off.

I just bought the autolumination 24 led light. It has a sticky back, so I stuck it to the bottom of the filter lid. I'm using a 12v adapter from an old cell phone charger. We'll see how well it works!

100_2316.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by sNEIRBO

I'm not sure what happened, but my Chaeto crashed.  I went to rotate it last night, and it was just a slimy ball of slop.   I'm not sure if the LEDs were not a sufficient light source, or something else might have caused it to crash.  

I noticed that my red leaf lettuce looking macro was looking pretty crappy lately, not growing, breaking apart, and losing color. This macro is growing in the display area of my nc6 and normally grows very quickly and needs trimmed weekly. This made me think about the Chaeto growing in my fuge, so I pulled the Chaeto out of the fuge and it looked like crap also, soft & whitish. It looks like some basic nutrient or mineral was depleted in my tank, causing both main tank & fuge macro algae to crash.

I’m mainly posting this for the people who think that just because their Chaeto has crashed it must be because of the LED lights. There are a lot of variables involved and I know in my case it was not the LED lighting, but something that was depleted from the water. Keep in mind we grow the Chaeto just for this reason, to deplete the excess nutrients so the pest algae don’t grow.

Rick

Since we're all looking for a satisfactory fuge light, I just want to add here that my submersible 10 watt halogen got off to a rocky start, but, after several months my chaeto is growing and increasing in size.

Initally I lost my halimeda under the light. It turned white and slowly diminished in size. I switched to chaeto, it expanded...then decreased and now has been slowly growing. I will admit that I am not pruning and pulling out tons of overgrowth, but, it seems to have adapted and started to grow. If the LED's fail over time..and you DO need time to determine how successful these will be, the submersible might be an alternative. Don't want to hijack this thread, just info if the LED's don't hold up over time. SH

Originally posted by steelhealr

Don't want to hijack this thread, just info if the LED's don't hold up over time. SH

My life is dedicated to hijacking other peoples posts :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Can I get an update on these? Are the folks who are using these LED's happy with the results? If so, which where'd you get the LED's?

Thanks

Can I get an update on these? Are the folks who are using these LED's happy with the results? If so, which where'd you get the LED's?

Thanks

I’m done with LED lights for now. They have turned out to be too unreliable.

At least half of my LED cluster has fried and several of the remaining LEDs are flickering and will soon die. I emailed the company that I bought the LEDs from and they assured me that they have reconfigured the circuitry in the current models to prevent premature failure, but didn’t offer to replace my LED array.

I've got a new 27 watt PC behind the tank fuge light to replace the LEDs.

Here’s the link, scroll down the page to see pics & a description of my new fuge light

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...ic=70138&st=160

• 1 year later...

LEDs have varrying forword bias and revers bias voltages. typicly you want to stay under 3.5 volts. your best bet is to wire them in parellel, once you match the correct voltage to the diode, and your power supply is suffecently regulated (I reccomend using a zener shunt) and you keep salt water off of them, these things will last longer than you will

Archived