Pod Your Reef

New Nano Cycling

BrookR1

Here is the beginning of my new Nano Cube. It's been cycling for 10 days and is in the diatom phase, but I can already see sprouts of macro algae popping up on the LR. Probably a few more days before I add the cleanup crew. I tried acclimating them to the water yesterday, but they went crazy, so I'm going to hold off.

The LR is Florida aquacultured...very interesting shapes with tons of life. I did a little research, and decided on three very small fish, so I'm going to add a Trimma and Greenbanded Goby and maybe something a bit more exotic (haven't decided yet). I purchased the two fish and they are in QT...I couldn't pass them up and was afraid that the LFS wouldn't have them around for long.

Ammonia 0

Nitrite .5

Nitrate 7

pH 8.1

5bec7d

5becd0

5becer

5becgh

steelhealr

Hi...your tank is not quite cycled yet and until your nitrite is zero, wouldn't put anything in there. Definitely interesting shapes to the LR. SH

Originally posted by BrookR1

The LR is Florida aquacultured...very interesting shapes with tons of life.

Which company did you purchase the LR from? I have been considering some Florida live rock, and was curious.

Also, what size is your cube?

I love the shapes! Lots of very interesting possibilities!

Thanks!

david

I actually bought it from my LFS. I'm not sure how he got it, but I was lucky enough to be able to cherry pick his shipment. The stuff is very light and porous. What's in my tank is 10 lbs. worth...5 pieces total in my 12 gallon nano. I was going to wait a month or so to buy my nano, but after I saw this rock, I couldn't pass it up. There's similar rock at gulf view. I understand they ship the rock in water to preserve the life. http://www.gulf-view.com/cluster.html

Originally posted by BrookR1

I actually bought it from my LFS. I'm not sure how he got it, but I was lucky enough to be able to cherry pick his shipment. [snip] There's similar rock at gulf view. I understand they ship the rock in water to preserve the life. http://www.gulf-view.com/cluster.html

Cool! I sure wish the LFS here could get rock like that! (I asked, and the best they could do was, maybe, just maybe, get some from "somewhere in the Pacific". Sigh. Luckily, companies ship :))

I have been looking at Tampa Bay Saltwater (http://www.tbsaltwater.com/index.html). I have heard a lot of good things about them, and mostly, they come very close to my ideal of the Live Rock from the Florida Keys.

Thanks for the information!

david

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No...the rocks aren't touching the side of the glass...but I can't run a magnetic scraper along the sides. I have to squeeze a pad in the spaces or move the rock...which isn't difficult. I'll provide an update soon. I'm going to add an acan and blasto to my tank tomorrow. I also need to scrape lots of algae...but at the same time I don't want to scrape off the pods.

Archived