Pod Your Reef

Hydor Flo, Maxi Jet 900 & cassette skimmer

artarmon42

Yeah, I can just bore out the little hole in the center and leave the outer ring.. I will do that!!

Thanks for your help!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I put a hydor wave deflector on the outlet of my 24 nano and it has water splashing up on the light protector. I have replaced the stock pump with a Hydor L35 and I put the tape cassete mod on. My water level is right under the black trim. anyone else having this same problem. I took it off because its leaving a salt residue on the light protector.

Originally posted by coondogg97

Its new. I just ordered the Hydor Flo and Maxi Jet last week. I have the NC OG, do all the cubes have that small hole in the middle of the plastic return?

Thanks,

Brian

Brian,

What does NC OG mean?

Originally posted by artarmon42

Well, the Maxi-900 + Flo is sufficient for most corals.

I personally put in a Seio M620 to add more flow for my SPS.

How do u think a MJ1200 will do? Too strong?

I put a MaxiJet 1200 with a Hydor Flo in a 24G - it works GREAT. Not too much splash, AWESOME flow through the whole tank.

Originally posted by coondogg97

Also how did that iceprobe hold up for you artarmon? Are you still using it?

I never managed to fit it in :(

But it turned out, as my ambient temperatures never get much past 80, I didn't really need a chiller. With the rear vent/fan mod, it was able to overcome the MH heat without any problem.

NC OG is the original 12 gallon nano cube.. Earlier a few people agreed that a MJ 1200 would be too much heat. But I would be interested to see the difference in the flow between a 900 and 1200..

Brian

Originally posted by szesteve

How do u think a MJ1200 will do? Too strong?

I think the MJ1200 (rated at 290gph) will be fine.

The Seio M620 (rated at 620gph) is in a whole other category :)

Originally posted by artarmon42

I think the MJ1200 (rated at 290gph) will be fine.

The Seio M620 (rated at 620gph) is in a whole other category :)

Yeah, I know. I had the 820 in my 50 gallon and it would plaster my clowns on the glass. :D

Originally posted by sNEIRBO

I put a MaxiJet 1200 with a Hydor Flo in a 24G - it works GREAT.  Not too much splash, AWESOME flow through the whole tank.

Afetr going out and "keeping up with the Jone's" I realized that the stock pump on the 24gal DX are rated at 290 GPH! The Maxi-jet is 295 gph...so what is the advantage of spendin $20 more bucks for 5 gph? Is the stock pump that bad? Seems to be fine in mine and runs the Hydor FLO just fine.

PS: I love the cassette pre-skimmer idea guys! Works like a charm and best yet...My wife didn't want to kill me after something added to my tank:D

Lemec -

My stock pump died 2 weeks after I started Cube-Uno. I had to replace it with something, so I went with the MaxiJet 1200 - as you noted it was close to the same performance as the stock. There is still an advantage though - quieter, and runs cooler than the stock pump / powerhead.

sNEIRBO

Sparkling_Surfer

Grrr, my HydorFlo keeps falling off!!! It stayed on for 4 days and now it won't stay on for longer than 10 minutes! What should I do?

Did you see my modification to the Hydor Flo Mod? (Page 6 of this thread) Mine's been in place since June 8th - well in place in Cube-Uno from June 8 - 11, and in place in Cube-2 from June 11 - today. It's never blown off.

Did you see my modification to the Hydor Flo Mod? (Page 6 of this thread)  Mine's been in place since June 8th - well in place in Cube-Uno from June 8 - 11, and in place in Cube-2 from June 11 - today.  It's never blown off.

Hey sNEIRBO,

If I replaced the stock with a MJ1200 and add a MJ900 to the first chamber and run a pipe over and into the tank, would it be too much flow(i.e. crazy flow?)

I guess it depends on your rock setup. My rock is set up like a mini mountain in middle of the tank. I get a lot of flow all around the tank. I know this because I have a cyanrina that likes low flow to full inflate, and I can't find a good spot for it. If I were you, I'd add the MaxiJet 1200 first and check out the flow. If you think you want / need more, then try adding the 900. I wouldn't cut holes for the 900 until you're sure you want it. I know there are people on this forum that have added a pump to Chamber 1, but I don't know what they have in their tank as far as corals, or rock setup.

Keep in mind, if you're running a pump in Chamber 1, you need the water to get to both Chamber 1 and Chamber 3 for both pumps. I think most people end up cutting teeth above Chamber 2 then use that as their spill over for the water. I've considered adding a second pump to Chamber 1, but I haven't because I don't want to do that.

Lots of great ideas for how to do things on this forum. RESEARCH first! Spend a little time looking around and reading before you jump.

I guess it depends on your rock setup.  My rock is set up like a mini mountain in middle of the tank.  I get a lot of flow all around the tank.  I know this because I have a cyanrina that likes low flow to full inflate, and I can't find a good spot for it.  If I were you, I'd add the MaxiJet 1200 first and check out the flow.  If you think you want / need more, then try adding the 900.  I wouldn't cut holes for the 900 until you're sure you want it.  I know there are people on this forum that have added a pump to Chamber 1, but I don't know what they have in their tank as far as corals, or rock setup.

Keep in mind, if you're running a pump in Chamber 1, you need the water to get to both Chamber 1 and Chamber 3 for both pumps.  I think most people end up cutting teeth above Chamber 2 then use that as their spill over for the water.  I've considered adding a second pump to Chamber 1, but I haven't because I don't want to do that.

Lots of great ideas for how to do things on this forum.  RESEARCH first!  Spend a little time looking around and reading before you jump.

Excellent point. My rockscape plans were similar to yours.

I was not planning on drilling a hole in the back wall though. Like you said, I 'll most likely test with an MJ1200 and a hydor flo and see what kind of flow I get.

I guess it depends on your rock setup.  My rock is set up like a mini mountain in middle of the tank.  I get a lot of flow all around the tank.  I know this because I have a cyanrina that likes low flow to full inflate, and I can't find a good spot for it.  If I were you, I'd add the MaxiJet 1200 first and check out the flow.  If you think you want / need more, then try adding the 900.  I wouldn't cut holes for the 900 until you're sure you want it.  I know there are people on this forum that have added a pump to Chamber 1, but I don't know what they have in their tank as far as corals, or rock setup.

Keep in mind, if you're running a pump in Chamber 1, you need the water to get to both Chamber 1 and Chamber 3 for both pumps.  I think most people end up cutting teeth above Chamber 2 then use that as their spill over for the water.  I've considered adding a second pump to Chamber 1, but I haven't because I don't want to do that.

Lots of great ideas for how to do things on this forum.  RESEARCH first!  Spend a little time looking around and reading before you jump.

Btw, is it really necessary to cut teeth into chamber 2 so as to provide enough water to a pump in chamber 1? OR is it dependent on how strong the pump in chamber 1 is?

Any pics of teeth cut in chamber 2?

• 3 weeks later...

That tape cassette idea is pretty cool, I have a JBJ 6gal, and in 2 minutes I cut and sanded mine to fit without any water sneaking around the sides. I then used a hot glue gun to fill in two tiny holes in the bottom (hinge)of it. Works beautifully! :P

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm bumping this one back up because I just saw a question from someone over in the Beginners Forum about the Hydor Flo, and this is probably the best thread for explaing how some of us modified the Hydor Flo to fit our Nano Cubes.

• 2 weeks later...
10" Red Devil
I am not a fan of putting vibrating things (in this case a pump) against glass, for fear of cracking it. So it's pretty important to have the suction cups as shock absorbers. So, Dremel to the rescue! The "cutter" extension easily and neatly slices the unnecessary bits off.

You smart muther ######! Going to do this right now!

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to share how I did my Hydor-Flo mod.

I did not want to mount the Hydor-Flo on the stock water output for a couple of reasons. One, I thought there was some risk of splashing the splash guard if the water level got low--like if I was neglectful in topping off. Two, and most importantly, I did not want half of the rotation blasting the glass. It seems like you are wasting a little bit of the Hydor-Flo's output that way.

So, I decided to mount mine in the middle of the bulkhead, and about an inch lower than the factory water outlet.

I took out about 5 gallons of water and drilled a 5/8" hole in the rear plastic with a spade bit. (One of the included adapters fit this size hole pretty well.) I wrapped the end of the adapter in teflon tape and inserted it into a 1/2" 90 degree "street elbow" from the hardware store. The 5/8" inner diameter tubing from the pump (in chamber 3) fit onto the other end of the elbow, and I held it tight with a ziptie.

Right now the stock pump drives the Hydor-Flo and a MJ 900 feeds the duckbill. That stock pump is loud and hot so I will replace it with another MJ 900 sooner or later.

The Hydor-Flow is a neat product. Best $10 I have spend on the tank so far.

post-17089-1133775468_thumb.jpg

Archived