ReefCleaners.org

Hydor Flo, Maxi Jet 900 & cassette skimmer

artarmon42

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lucubrator

Just so you guys know, it's not necessary to use a dremel to get that outside ring off. A pair of pliers and a bit of patience can do the job just fine.

FireFish21

After some thinking, I am fairly certain that I want to get a hydorflo and a Maxijet900 running in my tank because you guys make it sound like its the best thing since sliced bread... LOL

From what you have said so far, splashing isn't the end of the world, right? Because I dont want to have to lower it or anything.

Would this be overkill for my tank? (My tank is almost finished cycling) Eventually, I want to have easy corals.

Just wanted to hear a few more responses before I do this.

By the way, you guys are awesome. Keep up the good work.

:P

artarmon42
After some thinking, I am fairly certain that I want to get a hydorflo and a Maxijet900 running in my tank because you guys make it sound like its the best thing since sliced bread... LOL

I like it, and wouldn't have another cube without it!

But don't forget about the surface skimmer... makes the tank crystal clear! Look up at your surface right now, and imagine it like a mirror. B)

Just wanted to hear a few more responses before I do this.

D'oh, sorry, I'll let others chime in :P

By the way, you guys are awesome. Keep up the good work.

Thanks!

This is a great community for sharing.

I know I have picked up lots of good information (just on this topic only, the cassette surface skimmer was Doritfu's idea!).

This hobby is expensive enough as it is - now I've got to go out and buy a Dremel too! :D

When I originally bought my Cube I said to myself - "no modifications, just the stock cube". In 3 weeks I've added moonlights, the cassette skimmer, covers for the back chambers , Reverse Osmosis Water Filter (which also required a new Kitchen sink faucet), fuge lighting and a fuge. :bling: Now I want to replace the stock pump, add a Hydor-Flo and buy a Dremel.

Can someone please tell me when the next NCMA (Nanco Cube Modifiers Anonymous) meeting is? :D

sNIERBO:

I know exactly what you mean. I bought the cube with the idea that I didn't have alot of extra money so I will just get a small tank. Almost $2000.00 later and I'm still not done.:D

Bob

artarmon42
Originally posted by Web Guy

The Guy In The Post Behind Me Has Nothing Else To Do Like Me!!! :)

LOL, sorry I was sleeping zzz

FireFish21
But don't forget about the surface skimmer... makes the tank crystal clear! Look up at your surface right now, and imagine it like a mirror.

Yea, I am getting the skimmer from bob, I dislike the clear plastic look.

Hmm, right now the top of my water has stuff floating on it... will a combination of the skimmer and more flow completely take this away?

It just seems like there isnt much going through the grate right now....

The surface skimmer will keep your water surface crystal clear!! The Hydor Flo will create random more natural water currents inside the tank. I am happy and so are my corals :)

Upon inspection of the Nano Cube, I noticed that most people render the back chambers useless by overfilling the tank. Not a big deal, I did it too, at first.

I then scooped out water until the back chambers worked as properly as they should. The water level has to come up to just above the bottom of the grate like a surface skimmer/overflow.

However, that measurement is about 1" below the bottom of the top trim. In other words, it looks dumb because it's not filled all the way.

A very poor design flaw on JBJ's part.

Considering this, the incoming water is technically just slowly flowing over the tops of the chambers and not through the baffles as it was designed. In a lot of ways, this renders all your little mini-fuges, etc. inefficient.

Well, I thought they were pretty ineffecient to begin with, but now I realize that most of them probabaly aren't even working the way they should be.

Fix:

The installation of one of many surface skimmer/overflow mods to the grate will allow the water level to be rasied while keeping the functionality of the rear chambers; removing the displeasing empty space between the top of the water and the bottom of the trim.

-jmt

There are slots at the bottom of the chambers and the middle of chamber 2 as well that allow water to pass thru to next chamber. They don't just spill over the top!

I am a little confused on what you are talking about. And when you install a surface skimmer you water level will drop not rise!

Fix:

The installation of one of many surface skimmer/overflow mods to the grate will allow the water level to be rasied while keeping the functionality of the rear chambers; removing the displeasing empty space between the top of the water and the bottom of the trim.

That is the opposite of what really happens!

artarmon42
Originally posted by FireFish21

Hmm, right now the top of my water has stuff floating on it... will a combination of the skimmer and more flow completely take this away?

More flow will just move it around :D

Surface skimmer will get rid of it.

artarmon42
Originally posted by jmt

Upon inspection of the Nano Cube, I noticed that most people render the back chambers useless by overfilling the tank.  Not a big deal, I did it too, at first.  

A very poor design flaw on JBJ's part.

Yup, it's a flaw in the design...

Originally posted by jmt

Fix:

Yup, have to make sure the rear chambers' water levels are below the partitions. I get this in my tank...

water-levels.JPG

I added a piece of plexi between Chamber 2 & 3 to shut off the baffle that's half way up the divider and to contain my macro algae. I drilled holes through the plexi at the top to allow the water to flow through, but to keep the macro in Chamber 2. I ideally wanted flow to go down through Chamber 1 (Rowa, Purigen, Sponge), all the way up through Chamber 2 (LR, macro), down through Chamber 3 (heater and pump) and be pumped back up through the outlet tube.

Stopped at all three LFSs this afternoon looking for a Hydor Flo - no luck. Looks like I'll have to order one online.

I did however find a MaxiJet 1200, and a Black & Decker rotory tool for pretty cheap. Guess what I'll be modding this afternoon!

jasonincuritiba

Just added the hydor and maxijet-jet 900, its working great, followed artarmon42 dremelings on the pump and hydor.

FireFish21

Besides the MaxiJet 900, what others will work? My LFS is out of these and I already got my hydor flo and was wanting to get to work on it tomorrow because I do not have to work.

Did you just happen to choose this, or is there a specific reason?

Thanks

I am testing the Hydor SELTZ L25 Pump 265 gph and the Eheim 1000 Compact Pump. They both fit and work great.

artarmon42
Originally posted by FireFish21

Besides the MaxiJet 900, what others will work? My LFS is out of these and I already got my hydor flo and was wanting to get to work on it tomorrow because I do not have to work.  

Did you just happen to choose this, or is there a specific reason?

I posted the following in another thread.

That should address your question...

Originally posted by artarmon42

By my estimation, the Hydor takes off about 50-75gph from the water flow. That takes into account the impeller/turning mechanism, and the fact that it bends water at the output (simple physics tells us there will be a loss). So I estimate that my MJ900 (rated at 230gph) pushes out equivalent to somewhere around 170-180gph. Further, if you take into consideration that the deflector also spreads water over a wider arch, it further dissipates the perceived "force" of the water coming out.  

Simply by putting my hand against the output nozzle, my Hydor/MJ900 feels about the same, if not marginally less powerful, as my Rio duckbill/MJ606 (which is rated at 153gph).

My recommendation is to get a pump that is rated somewhere between 230 to 310gph. Clarification: The 310gph maximum is from the Hydor Flo's instructions.

Various powerhead/pump ratings can be found at Marine Depot.

I've checked every LFS within a 20 mile radius of my house - no one has in stock or has even heard of a Hydor-Flo water deflector. Looks like I'll be ordering one online.

I'm curious - has anyone bothered to count the rotation of their Hydor-Flo? What RPMs is it turning at? Is this a slow methodical rotation? Or is it whirling around like a pinwheel? I've never seen one in action, just kind of curious.

I finished the MaxiJet 1200 ugrade last night. Two things I noticed - 1) obviously much greater water circulation compared to the stock pump - 2) also much quiter than the stock pump. I don't know if I had a pump with a bad bearing or something, but this new MaxiJet is a considerably quiter!

what effect does it have on the water if you have it lower than the wall between chamebers 2 and 3??????? i have the cassette skimmer over my grate (works great at keeping the top film off) and it did raise the water level in the main tank. But I still have water going over the wall between chamers 2 and 3. So this is too much water??????????? What benefit will i get by dropping the water?

i just bought the rotating deflector and plan to install tonight. other threads really dog this (people with bigger tanks it seems) and also all the LFS dog this thing as well. Why is this? I took a chance and bought one anyway.

artarmon42
Originally posted by d_icemand

what effect does it have on the water if you have it lower than the wall between chamebers 2 and 3? But I still have water going over the wall between chamers 2 and 3.  So this is too much water???????????  What benefit will i get by dropping the water?

Water level below the partition walls will ensure that water flows "properl": you won't get as much "filter" effect through the various things you put back there (e.g. live rock, purigen, etc) otherwise.

Originally posted by d_icemand

i just bought the rotating deflector and plan to install tonight.  other threads really dog this (people with bigger tanks it seems) and also all the LFS dog this thing as well.   Why is this?  I took a chance and bought one anyway.

In other/larger tanks, wave effects can be achieved by other means (spray bars, SWCD, etc). But in a Nano Cube, it's good because you can get the wave effects without drilling or can maintain the "clean" look by not putting more stuff in the display area.

Chronicles

These things seem to be the cool thing to have right now, I might just have to order one. You still think Maxi900 is the best pump?

Archived