Hydor Flo, Maxi Jet 900 & cassette skimmer

artarmon42

artarmon42

This morning...

chaeto-skimmer.JPG

This evening...

chaeto-skimmer-eod1.JPG

Looks bigger to me!

I'll leave it another day and see if I can get any definitive proof.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
artarmon42

Splashguard with the MH on...

hydor-splash-mh.JPG

Splashguard with the MH off...

hydor-splash-night.JPG

It looks like alot of water, but it's mostly a reflection from the flash. No doubt there is water, but the droplets are tiny (as you can see, they're not big enough to flow with the hood tilted).

shao-lin nano

From the picture it looks like condensation on the splash guard. Is all that from splashing?

artarmon42

Now you got me thinking!

It makes sense that most of the moisture is from condensation (can't imagine splashing would create such tiny droplets). But then again I had little to no condensation before putting in the Hydor. So perhaps the aggitation of the water surface allows for more condensation ???

That looks like Condensation to me as well. I for testing purposes would like to see you place one foam stock pad in chamber 1 like mine. I want to see if it is from lack of flow from your polyfilters.:) You would know right away! I tried adjusting water and nothing. Again, not the end of the world. But something I will work out!

But then again on the splash guard. I looks thicker on the side of the outlet.

And yes, the Cheato looks bigger! :)

artarmon42
Originally posted by Web Guy

I for testing purposes would like to see you place one foam stock pad in chamber 1 like mine. I want to see if it is from lack of flow from your polyfilters.:)

No that's not it.

I actually removed the Polyfilter in my second chamber, which increased flow into the third chamber (less likelihood of it drying up). The reason I am pretty certain it's not flow, is because my third chamber is "full" of water. As long as there is enough water in that chamber, it cannot related to flow.

water-levels.JPG

But then again on the splash guard. I looks thicker on the side of the outlet.

???

shao-lin nano

I think he meant the condensation is heavier on the side of the hydor than the opposite side.

artarmon42

Yeah that's what I was trying to suggest before, in that the Hydor could be aggitating the water surface allowing for "more" condensation. Definitely the condensation pattern looks to be aligned with the Flo's water stream.

So spill . . . what's the "better Maxi-Jet"?

I've been thinking about upgrading my pump since I started my Cube. I've been following this thread - that Hydor-Flo looks pretty cool. I like the wave motion theory. That's a definite when I swap out the pump!

I purchased the HydorFLO but am having difficulty attaching it. I have not had a chance to dremel the ring off yet, but here is a pic of the only way I could figure out how to attach it. Can you provide a pic of the details? Thanks.

12357FLO-med.JPG

I used on of the rubber gaskets and pushed it into the return valve. The whole thing sticks out much more than I wanted.

artarmon42
Originally posted by Brick

I used on of the rubber gaskets and pushed it into the return valve.  The whole thing sticks out much more than I wanted.

Yup, that's how it is on my tank too.

You'll find that "visually" the Hydor looks less bulky if you dremel off the outer ring. But the reality is that it will stick out.

artarmon42

So here's an update of the cassette chaeto experiment...

Yesterday - morning

chaeto-skimmer.JPG

Today - morning

chaeto-skimmer-d2a.JPG

Yesterday - evening

chaeto-skimmer-eod1.JPG

Today - evening

chaeto-skimmer-d2p.JPG

With these better pictures, I'm not sure it demonstrates any change (good or bad). Logically it makes sense, because I don't think Chaeto would grow that fast in one day :

artarmon42

Definitely possible.

But the "smallest profile" of the Hydor is front-on.

Pointing in any other direction will "visually" make it stand out even more.

I was thinking more of angling it towards the bottom front right corner of the tank - that might cut down on some of the splashing. I was thinking about just pulling/cutting the duckbill off of the stock knuckle connector as a possibility too.

I agree with artarmon42, I think the best possible look is to have it facing forward. If you slant it that way it will look HUGE!! And yes, I would cut off the disk with a dremel. Easy to do and makes it not look so big. I would not run another tank without it.:)

i thought a tang was too big for a nano? not trying to start anything, just curious.

I am always pushing the limits. Others do it with lighting, I do it with Fish and Bio-Loads. I know others who have not kept one longer than a week. And others who have tried and have gone thru 2 of them in 2 weeks.

Also, I have a special deal with my LFS so I can take back anything healthy and get full price back for it. So of course in a few months he will have to leave. But someone would love to have a tank raised Hippo Tang.:)

95.jpg

DUDE! Awesome Cube!

My LFS offered me the same deal. Bring the Tang back in 2 - 3 months and they'd give me some mark up as long as he's bigger and healthy. Many on this forum have told me I'm nuts. You're making me want to do it even more now.

I'm going to stop by the LFS tomorrow and pick up a Hydor-Flo, to see size / connections. I'm curious if there's a different way to connect it.

I am the rare case to keep it all alive. Good luck! :)

I have mine feeding off of the clip and dried seaweed and frozen brine shrimp and Kent Garlic Xtreme. He will eat straight out of my eye dropper from the top of the tank. I also think I have had good results because my tank is also set up for fish not just corals and he is also best pals with the Lubbocks Wrasse. Takes stress off of him!

artarmon42

I rearranged some of my chemical filtration this evening.

To recap, I use Polyfilter (in chamber 1, to filter all the water coming in via the surface skimmer), Purigen (the bag just sits in chamber 3) and Rowaphos (the bag just sits in chamber 3).

Following Chronicle's suggestion, I bought some Renew. Best as I can tell, it's a synthetic carbon. I put it into the same filter bag as my Rowaphos, and now have it sitting in chamber 2, along with my heater and live rock rubble.

With the increased water flow of the Maxi-Jet 900 as my return pump, I have become concerned about the effectiveness of my Purigen. I think just sitting in the rear chambers doesn't provide enough "contact time" for it to be fully effective. Don't get me wrong, it works (I know because it does change color) but is really intended to have water "forced" through it at a slow enough rate so that resins have enough "contact time" to absorb the badness out of the water.

So I bought a Fluval 1 Plus , which has just enough space for the bag of Purigen.

fluval-1.JPG

It's not too big...

fluval-2.JPG

Here it is running in chamber 3, next to the Maxi-Jet 900.

fluval-3.JPG

I'm not sure how to "scientifically" tell whether the Fluval is an improvement or not (perhaps by a more rapid color change, assuming my water is that bad :unsure: ). Regardless, I'm pretty certain I'm gong to leave it in this configuration because that's how Purigen is supposed to be used anyway. If it "seems" successful, I might get a bigger unit (Fluval 2 or 3) and run the Rowaphos/Renew through it as well.

I run my Purigen in Chamber 1 on top of my stock one sponge. The water is setting in that chamber moving at a very slow rate. And then the surface skimmer is always spilling new water on it as well. I would think what would be fine. Your a little overkill on the movement don't you think! :) jk

Maxi Jet 900

Huge Internal Pump

Fluval Mini Filter Pump.

:)

Mine was splashing also. I had to cut out the existing return port and re-drill for a bulk head to lower it and move it to the left. I could only move it a little each way so the bulkhead would still cover the original hole. It worked perfectly. Now the splashing is all gone. I have 2 of these in my 24 with an Eheim 1000 on each. I wouldn't have it any other way.

artarmon42

Huge Internal Pump

Erm...

It's not any old "internal pump".

:rant:

Seio M620

:rant:

Rated up to 620gph, the setting I've got it at is probably around 500gph. Surge, baby, surge. :D

Archived