SaltCritters.com

[OPEN] Rick J G

rickjg

Man I really like your tank. Got any recent pics of it?

So what you gonna do with your prize?

Nice...
Very nice.
ya.. the tank looks awesome.. i love the Frogspawn and the Clownfish AND the Xenia :)
Congratz rick, you really deserve this

THANKS........ :blush:

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey Rick.

How do you like the alife? Is it built good?

The ALIFE was the 1st all-in-one tank that I know of.

Here is a link to pics of my old ALIFE 7

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rick_j_g/alb...k_j_g/my_photos

The glass was thick, but the hood was pretty bad. The hinges broke off and it only had a tiny fan in the top of the hood for cooling. The ballast was not electronic, so it was heavy & hot and also in the hood. The lens also had cracking & melting issues & was not air/water tight like on the Nano-Cubes. I think most of them had issues with the ballast/light dieing because the fan blew air out the top, which meant the fan was pulling humid salty tank air into the hood, which fried the lighting.

I did some DIY changes on my ALIFE. The 1st thing I did was switching the fan for a better one & had it pushing air into the hood. I changed out the ballast for an electronic WorkHorse II. I also slowly added more lighting. The ALIFE came originally with one 27 watt 50/50 bulb and I ended up adding two more 27 watt bulbs for a total of 3.27 = 81 watts. I was happy to take it down & setup the NC6 because it was getting a little hazardous and I was worried about being electrocuted by my own mods.

I’d have to say that I’m much happier with the NC6 than the ALIFE 7 because the quality of the hood is much higher on the NC6. All the people that complain about the Nano-Cube quality should have owned an ALIFE first. For the price, Nano-Cubes have great quality, in my opinion. I think I paid $135. for the ALIFE 7 & my NC6 was far less than that, including shipping costs.

Rick

Obsessed Reefer

Cool. I am just looking into a small tank for my living room. I was thinking about the NC6 but then I saw an add for the new bio-cube. I was thinking about the 8 gallon. but all new tanks have their faults. so idk yet.

Cool. I am just looking into a small tank for my living room. I was thinking about the NC6 but then I saw an add for the new bio-cube. I was thinking about the 8 gallon. but all new tanks have their faults. so idk yet.

New BioCube? Do you have a link?

Thanks

Obsessed Reefer

I wish I did. Its by oceanic. Its not on their website.idk why. its on the back of may's tropical fish hobbyist.

Fishfreak218

they are slow on updating there website... it still doesnt have the Half Circle tank on there.. when they are selling it in stores now....

New Pics 4-28-06

Hammer sweeper going to war against an apstasia that popped after I added rics to my tank

hammersweeper.jpg

Two headed Toadstool frag starting to color up and get blue polyps.

Toadstoolfrag4-28-06.jpg

The right Staghorn branch is doing great.

The branch on the left was broken off a few weeks ago and just recovering.

staghorn4-28-06.jpg

man that one nice hammer. What do you mean war with apstasia?

The sweeper is for stinging other corals and it's the first time this hammer has ever had one.

I first noticed the sweeper this morning and it was stinging an apstasia that showed up right under the hammer.

Coral wars

is that that long tube looking thing is the sweeper coming out of your hammer in the picture?

Yep, that's a sweeper. You can even see the stinging things (I forget the real name) coming out the top.

I went into the office over the weekend to do maintenance / water change on my NC6 and I clipped off the sweeper to keep the hammer from stinging other corals, luckily there was only the one. It’s been my experience that once a sweeper develops it pretty much stings everything it can reach.

Being stung by the hammer’s sweeper either killed the apstasia or it released & moved to a new location.

Obsessed Reefer
You can even see the stinging things (I forget the real name)

:huh::huh::huh:

The Stingers?? DUH :P:owned::slap:

How's that xenia doing?

Oh yea, that's right, how is it doing?

The Xenia is doing great.

x2m9t0.jpg

Every time I do tank maintenance / water changes I scrape off any Xenia that gets too close to live-rock and corals or when it grows up to the water surface.

Little pieces sometimes get cut loose and float around the tank when I trim the Xenia,

so I also religiously remove any of the tiny starters that attaches to live-rock.

The trimmings either gets put into the lower left corner of the tank

to start the upward growth again or flushed if I have too much.

Rick

SanDiegoIllini
... and I clipped off the sweeper to keep the hammer from stinging other corals, luckily there was only the one. It’s been my experience that once a sweeper develops it pretty much stings everything it can reach.

This clipping of the sweeper causes no long term harm? Does it grow back after awhile? (Necessitating more clipping?) I suppose if the hammer is being fed non-living supplimental food anyways then I guess it doesn't really need the sweeper to sting prey.

Archived