Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My adventure in flow

Chronicles

Chronicles

I wanted to get more flow going in my tank, not so much gph but get it blowing to all the parts of the tank. As you can see I tried drilling the stock nozzle to shoot at my GSP below it, that just made things worse.

parts.jpg

So I ordered the 1/2" Y and 2 more nozzles (smaller taper). Let's just say this was a pain in the *** to put these together. Using my mini606 to power it just wasn't enough. The Y caused the flow to drop even more which made my tank flow issue worse.

In my 1st chamber I have a sponge with floss ontop, I didn't want it being sucked into my new micro450, so I cut the bottom of an old AC filter to go between the two.

grate.jpg

Here's the new pump:

pump1.jpg

I removed the sponge, and the nozzle, which allows you to adjust the flow to 3 different levels, plus the side adjustment of the water intake.

pump3.jpg

I decided to ditch the Y adapter, and put one of the new smaller locline nozzles on the stock fitting. This let me roate them more, and also created higher pressure from the tip.

tanktop.jpg

So all and all I wasted $10 on fittings, but have a happier tank overall. 150ish gph from mini606 and 117 from micro450.

Chronicles

It's behind the intake grate, I had typed 3rd chamber but I ment 1st. The new locline fitting allows me to pivot it a lot more then the stock one. Only problem I'm having now is the cord for the micro is so thick it gets pinched between the hood and it's been pushing it down below the intake. When I do my water change tomorrow, I may make 2 runners on the wall to hold that grate in place and enlarge the cord hole. I wish the Y would've worked, but I'll need a stronger pump then a mini606 for that.

Chronicles - I have the same problem with mine as well. I ended up having to open that notch as well. Mine pinched as you closed it and it would always #### me off.:)

Get some shots of the nozzle installed on the powerhead in the 1st chamber. Or did you stick the new nozzle on the stock outlet location? Confused...

See I was thinking abot ditching the hole 1st chamber pump to use the surface skimmer mod over there. And then buying a more powerfull pump for the 3rd and then like you said run the y adapter. I think that would be fine. I was also thinking about drilling a hole below the stock outlet and installing a Hydro Flo set up there. Run the smaller one with a nice powerful pump. Could run the second pump still in the 3rd chamber but run some tubing over to the first one to hook it up.

I am haveing problems with my microjet 450.....bubbles.

I have a mini 606 in chamber 3 with a Y fitting mounted on the stock ball swivel for surface breakup and constant flow. It's opened up fully as i ripped the yellow adjustment slider off of it.

I use the microjet 450 in chamber one, and i cut a small hole in the return grate to accomodate a small piece of tubing from the pump to a fan fiting on a ball joint in the display.

All was well until i started to place corals, and i found i had too much flow (xenia stopped pulsing) Cutting back the flow on the side intake has solved my flow problem, but now the pump periodically blows bubbles at start up. I have my reefkeeper turning it off and on every 15 min.

I have not figured out what to do yet, i may try the micro 320 opened up full. I am not sure it will be enough flow

Anyone have bubbles with theirs?

Jest

Archived