inTank Media Baskets

12DX Skimmer MOD

NanoBob

NanoBob - IMO, I can see only one potential issue with your design. This neither good or bad depending on your point of view. After building my own pre-skimmer box I discovered one major thing. Once your water level drops, the tanks gets noisy. I personally found this highly annoying. One side of the coin is that the noise is a sign that you need to top off the tank. The other side of the coin is that it's loud and annoying. I decided to add inlets to the box that would allow just enough water to flow in from the bottom so that if the water got too low for the top of the skimmer the tanks wouldn't sound like a waterfall. However, at the same time, most of the flow still travels through the top of the skimmer box, which allows the box to perform its function well. Just food for thought. I hope your product does well. :D

Fliger:

The computer drawing shows both pieces. The lighter or transparent piece is the bracket behind the intake and the dark one is the actual skimmer. I will attach pics later tonight.

Nickeleye:

I agree with you that the noise level rises when the water in the back chamber drops. Personally I haven't found it to be a problem. Probably because my 4 kids drown out the noise!! I don't have an ATO so I use the noise as a cue to add water like you said.

Thanks for the input, any and all information is always appreciated.

Bob

I noticed the same thing - waterfall type noises from chamber 3 - I like the noise as an indicator to top off my tank. Reminds me of my first Saturn SC - when you could hear the chain drive rattling you knew it was time to add oil to the engine! HA!

I just go by visual cues. When the skimmer box starts making noise you can usually also see that your water level is too low. Lots of options I guess.

Nickeleye:

The thing with my skimmer is that the water in the display never changes. As long as I don't move it up or down that is. All of the evaporation is in the rear chambers.

sNEIRBO:

:D CHAIN DRIVE!

Thanks I'm looking forward to the pix. I'd like to get one if they look seemless and clean. So these are for sale for $30? I'd just like to see what they look like before they buy - not on a computer.

Thanks,

David

Hey nanobob, can we start ordering these skimmer mods for the 12dx? Have you started production, or must we order before producing it? PM sent

For those of you who are waiting for the 12 and 24 nanocube skimmers I wanted to give an update. The past week has been a nightmare. As some of you know my plastic supplier sent me the wrong plastic just before Memorial day. I received the corrected shipment on Tuesday of this week. Unfortunately it was only a partial shipment. The rest is back ordered and I should have it early next week. On Weds. of this week my mill went down. Service was here until Friday and supposedly fixed it. Well, not quite, so they are coming back in Monday which means that more than likely Tuesday will be the first day that I will be able to start mchining the skimmers that have been ordered.

These set backs have pushed the first shipment back probably until the week of the 20th. I appologoze for any inconvience this causes.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Bob,

I'm just curious how the thing stays attached?

Btw...I'm still deciding which cube to buy.hehe Once I decide I can buy the skimmer from you. :)

JayGlaze379

Just figured I'd bump this, since I think this is an awesome looking mod, also wondering how the 12g versions are comming along.

I made a surface skimmer using the video game cartridge of a "Sega-Genesis". Its very slim and is curve on the sides so basically it looks like a factory install. The gap between the cartridge and the grill is about 3/4 of a centimeter, thats about half of the cassette mod....so far its been working well plus its black. The only mistake I did was I cut the slots crooked and didnt like the look so I glued on a piece of lexan with silicone and cut new slots. So now I'm looking for another cartridge and correct my mistake.

I just wanted to update everyone once again. After a few of weeks of delays, production has begun on the 12 and 24-gallon nano skimmer. I apologize about the delay and wanted to thank everyone for his or her patience. The first of the skimmers will go out first thing next week.

My job load here at work will determine how fast I complete all of the back orders. If all goes well I will have all of the skimmers that have been ordered machined by the end of next week. As soon as the epoxy sets up they will also be shipped. I will notify everyone via e-mail when his or her shipment goes out.

Thanks,

Bob

Considering the issues lately I don't suppose you are going to make these for the 6g NC's? PM me if your considering it or need measurements or anything. Thanks!

gath:

Send me an e-mail and I will add you to the list. I will give you pricing and shipping details then. Include your zip code in the e-mail

Thanks for the interest,

Bob

Archived