Coral Vue Hydros

12DX Skimmer MOD

NanoBob

Since the intake is closer to the wall on the 12NC than the 24 I had to modify the design slightly. I am going to make a quick proto this weekend to varify that everything is okay. Here is the initial design:

excellant work. best design ive seen yet. only issue ive noticed with these cassette tape style modified skimmers is that you can see thru it.

with the cassette tape, i like that you can see thru it. just last night, my anemone shrimp was sucked into it and bec it was clear i was able to see it and get it out of there before it died. ive als had snails, macro. get sucked in also.

just a thought, otherwise i like your flat left sided panel.

good design.

ok now the question is. are you going to mass produce these? :)

embryoguy:

I understand your concern about critters and such getting stuck behind the skimmer, but machining clear acrylic turns it white and you wouldn't be able to see behind that either. The advantage to this as opposed to the cassette is that this is much closer to the back wall (just .350 inches) that helps to limit the space for accidents.

As far as mass production. I am machining these at work, after hours so mass becomes a relative term:D, but I can make them as I have for the 24NC. Timing on delivery is the only concern, but unless things were to really explode as far as interest I would say it would take no more than a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the input and compliments,

Bob

i didint realize it was so close to the back wall. your right, that would fix some issues. you prob get great suction also.

thanks

embryoguy - Every email I send to you comes back return email. Send me some photos of the other stuff we spoke about ok.

Thanks,

Web Guy

artarmon42

What's the price for this thing?

Also any way to get it to "stay up" if the pump gets turned off? My cassette tape always fall a few minutes after I turn the pump off.

altarmon42: $30.00 plus shipping. I supply 2 plastic screws that attach to posts machined into the back of the skimmer. No drilling necessary, they fit (snuggly) through the slits in the intake.

Bob

artarmon42

Can you tell me how the cost is derived?

Is the material expensive or difficult or is this an intellectual property thing?

Just trying to understand $30 vs. a free cassette tape. I apologize if this comes across negatively. I'm just trying to understand the cost justification.

It is milled out of a solid peice of nylon I beleive. It is drawn up in a cad program and then sent to the mill after finished.

So Bob, is the 12G version ready for a go? Pm me please!

I experimented with design and size of the "cassette" type and found that when i power flat sanded the width of the cassette to narrow it, i found there was not as much flow and turbulance as opposed to the stock piece. being somewhat "old school" i found several black cassette cases, that with minor changes works very well, hot glue, 2 - 1 inch 4-40 plastic screws onto the inside of the case for fitment into the slots of the intake that are adjustable up and down and its another alternative to nano cube DIY skimming. i like the idea of fabricating/ machining a skimmer, but for its purpose i find it a bit more work than the nano cube is worth.

altarmon42:

The cost is based on material and labor. Material is solid extruded nylon. The material itself isn't that expensive, but the time it takes to saw the blanks out, mill to size, and finish cut the top and bottom is where the price is derived from. Believe me I do not take this personnally and I am not tring to get rich off of this. All told it takes about 2 to 2 1/2 hours per skimmer to make.

As far as the difference between my mod and a cassette tape case. My main reason for doing this was looks. I didn't like the way the cassette case looked and wanted something that looked 'stock'. I posted the result and a few people were interested in buying them so I figured why not make 'em. I just stay a few hours after work a couple of day a week.

Again no offence taken!

Bob

I am one who does not like the CHEAP look of the cassette mod. That is why I will be using one of Bobs surface skimmers as well. I am sure they both work about the same but it comes down to keeping it stock looking and having it blend into the tank better.

Good work Bob.:)

Chronicles

I took my tape cover off cause it looked cheap and didn't belong. This on the other hand, you can't really see it's there.

I did some measuring this weekend and found that the slots are much smaller on the 12NC than the 24. They're only .025 inch wide. The only way to make the screws fit is to open the slots (drill or dremel) or spin the screws down which I am afraid will make them too weak. I do have a hang on model, but I haven't actually made one yet. The problem with the hang on skimmer is that you will lose any adjustment and water loss in the back chambers becomes a big concern. I will run some trial and error stuff this week and get back to ya.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Have you gotten any more info on the 12 gallon version skimmer? It would be much appreciated, as I am interested in purchasing one of these for my 12 DX.

Thanks -T

tmoney:

The design for the 12DX is a go. I modified the design for both the 12 and the 24 gal. I incorporated magnets to replace the screws. These magnets will be epoxyed in and covered so they will not be exposed to the water. A small retainer was added to hold the magnets behind the intake.(See pic)

I am waiting on plastic, my supplier sent the wrong stuff. I am hoping to get some in today or Monday. Because of the delay I am backed up a bit. I will do my best to get caught up by the end of next week. If you are interested please e-mail me and I will give you more details on delivery.

Thanks,

Bob

Jason,

Patiently waiting?!?:D

Yes the teeth are longer. Still waiting on plastic, it didn't come in today's UPS! Hopefully monday.

I'm interested, but am I missing a picture here? I can't see one, only computer drawings. Hard to see the workmanship. LMK, thanks!

David

Archived