Cultivated Reef

how to keep sps in a 2.5 gallon

alans22

I have a 2.5, star polyps, orange zoos, under 17 watts of daylight 12 hours a day. I was wondering if that is enough to have sps corals in a nano or not. Any knowledge or experience keeping these in a pico would greatly be appreciated.

A couple issues here... SPS need very prestine water. In a 2.5 you're not going to be able to skim, so you'll have to do very frequent water changes. It could also be difficult to maintain calcium levels if you're looking for any kind of growth (maybe even general health)

I don't think you'll have enough light... I'm not exactuly sure what you should do to correct this. Metal halide is NOT apporitate... I think your best bet would be to look into a t-5 system of some sort, these have a better light spectrum and will prolly work out just fine.

Also... your softies release certain chemicals into the water, you need to make sure these remain in very low concentrations at all times... so again, frequent water changes...

If you can pull it off... i bet that'll look real nice. good luck

-S

I'm currently experimenting with some brown branching monti and a tulip anemone in my 2.5 with 18 watts of pc. They haven't been in the tank very long though (couple weeks)

The monti was near death but seams to be recovering and the tulip was a hitchhicker from another tank.

I'll see if I can't post a pic tomorrow

it can be done. you will need to make sure that the water params stay within acceptable levels. temperature might prove to be a problem as well, since sps don't tolerate temp swings well. people have kept sps under N.O. flourescent lighting, so don't be discouraged by cloudy. believe me, keeping sps in a pico can be done...you just have to know what you're doing. if you're a newb to sps, don't try it in your 2.5 unless you're willing to accept the fact that you're going to lose some pieces. it'll take you awhile to realize the swings of your tank(ph, temp, ca loss due to skeletal growth, alk, etc.) with sps in it. goodluck.

brandon4299

I agree yoshiod9. And, specifically if you'd like to have a nice range for dosing right off the bat for a 2.5 gallon I can tell you exactly what to use if you choose to go with C-Balance from TLF corp.

I got an order for $16 that will last 6 months in a pico from marinedepot.com I think it was...

C-Balance isn't the only approach, it's one of several options, but I've had the best success with it out of all. Picos need to be dosed more often than larger nanos due to the stocking densities typically used, and the bio-acids that will generate upon typical metabolic reactions in the matured system (coral respiration, invert resp., detrital breakdown facilitated by bacteria and their metabolic by-products etc). C-balance is a two part additive, calcium and alk to be added in the mornings ONLY on alternate days with a few skips in the week to prevent precipitation. So, an ideal dose for your tank that presents a safety net for a wide stocking range of calcifying corals is:

Monday: one or two capfulls of part A, calcium in morning before lights on.

Tuesday: skip

Wednesday: 1-2 capfulls of B, alkalinity component, in the morning before lights on

Thursday: skip

Friday: "A" the same

Sunday is B or a light water change with no dose.

The choice between one-two caps is based upon observed calcification. One if you have no coralline and the corals are new and not plating very much, two if opposite. I've used this exclusively for years on at least 10-15 different pico systems, it works for sure provided you are familiar with standard dosing techniues (adding alk in a high flow area, only in the morning etc).

BKtomodachi

People havent keps SPS under NO lighting for long. Maybe ran with higher watt ballasts, but not just regular NO.

The hardest part about 2.5's in lighting them and temperature swings.

I kept capricornis, digitata, and staghorn under 20 watts of light in a 2.5, and honestly I don't think the water was that great. I noticed really good growth and dosed calcium about once a week. you just gotta see what works.... I'm not suggesting you kill corals, but as said above you have to keep up with water changes and pay attention every day. Best of luck

bk- anthony calfo(the devilish acan-hate-fest-starter) actually kept his first 55gallon tank with all N.O. flourescent lighting. sps, lps, and softies. he said he had some great par levels out of some 6500k bulbs he bought from a local hardware store. N.O. can definitely be used for sps keeping...the biggest problem is that they're only good for maybe 10-15"...then they really lose intensity.

i know that belowh20(rory) uses 4 or so NO bulbs over his ten and keeps all kinds of stuff...sps included. anyway, it can be done, just has to be done tastefully and with caution.

BKtomodachi

Well... what I know isnt ALWAYS true, I will often say. Why? Becuase I know for a fact that whoever is reading this may interpret "SPS can be kept under NO" as "I'll go get a NO tube and some SPS."

It is better now that you have provided the explanation.

lol, yeah, i know where you're coming from. a lot of newbs tend to believe basically anything someone says. sometimes i wish i was a meaner individual. :D

thank you everybody for the info, sorry it has taken me so long to reply but i have been battling temperature swings in my pico. this is the first summer i have encountered with such a small aquarium. I live in texas and im a student who is renting a place with that has been having trouble with the AC. Hopefully everything will continue well, nothing dead yet (fingers crossed). By the way beautiful reef vangvace.

Archived