Cultivated Reef

Nanocustoms News

ccjung

Theres quite a few things going on at nanocustoms lately, and its quite overwhelming. Because i know theres lots of anticipation for several products/services I will summarize whats probably on some peoples minds.

The question on everyones mind is:

>>> Where's Larnie??

I got a call from larnie today, and hes doing quite well. He's taking a break from all the web paparrazi, and just enjoying his tank. He says he doesnt understand how "Tigahboy can take all the fanfare and commotion". He denies that hes now cruising the boards under an alias... :)

>> Good job Nanofreaks (Art, Shao, Chronicles, Damage, Tigah (brief), and the rest.) I think that the hobby is finally growing to the point where tons of neat innovation is coming out for these little tubs of water. Keep up the good work and let me know if there are any parts you need to facilitate your mods. I am a distributor of lots of Comp Equipment and Fans/etc so theres always a friend in the biz.

On to the news:

1. 2005 Nanocube 24g DX - Still not available. JBJ is out of stock on all 24g right now, and am expecting the new ones to arrive very shortly. I have really stopped trying to anticipate because i know you guys are waiting patiently (or not so patiently). Once they come in, we are stopping our custom build operations until after the backorder is cleared.

Heres how its going to progress once they are in my possession:

1. Build a maxed out prototype with 4x36 CFL and possibly 5x26 or a combination of T5s and 36w bulbs. AND Fuge Light.

2. Once max config is set, preorder customers will be directed to a special page to specify options. Depending on whether or not you paid shipping, you will pay shipping at this time (if applicable).

3. Build and test. Each unit will undergo 24 hour testing and packed and shipped.

2. Nanocustoms ICA Device- The waterblocks came in and I am in love. They are hard anodized in black to Mil Spec (Type III, CL2) and are nice.. I did a quick test by smashing my pliars into the waterblocks. The stock unit was easily scratched to reveal the bare aluminum. I had to beat the Mil Spec unit several times to no avail. This thing would fail under mechanical destructive testing (drill bit, etc) but under any real life situations, I am confident this unit will stand up to it.

I am considering having the heatsinks hard anodized as well, considering their location and service. If this is the case i will be consulting with all of you preorder customers to determine needs. The delay on this would be approx 1 week, so the product will start shipping June 1.

--- 6 Gallon ICA --

I am in development of the 6g ICA device.

I have installed a crude version in my gf's 6g, but havent finalized the design. I expect to have good progress on this by late May.

3. Nanocustoms MH + ICA Beta

I am testing the thermal cutoff units in a second prototype unit i have created. Im having some slight troubles with the response of the thermal cutoff, so that needs some fine tuning. I eta that the release of the prototype will be early June. I still havent contacted anyone about it, so if you emailed and got no response, thats why. To be fair, im leaving it open until i have developed a safe product, and feel things like this shouldnt be rushed (especially if your gonna pay to test this thing).

4. Protein Skimmer

The Protien Skimmer is on the design slate for mid june-july. I will be working with prelim designs and will be working on integration into chamber 1 or 2. Im still debating but am trying to design it to be universal.

5. 4.24 Series.

The 4.24 series (12g DX -2005) will be launching in Early June as well. We are going over some final drawings before sending them out. I have been reluctant to do anything big scale with the heatshields out of Fear JBJ would continue to create revisions, but i am confident that the 2005 model is rock solid.

6. Fragbay - Launch Date May 20, 2005.

If you guys havent heard about Fragbay, www.fragbay.com check it out. Let us know what you think.

Fragbay is a joint venture between myself and B16A2NR. With the help of some of our fellow reefers, we were able to come up with some good ideas and hope that its upcoming release will be well recieved. This auction site is "For Reefers, by Reefers".

Although its not a Free Auction site, we feel that the charges are fair, and hope that the $20.00 Free auction posting credit will show you its potential. We plan on having lots of fun making it better in the coming months.

7. Does this list ever end? Does Chris ever sleep?

No. Yes, usually between the hours of 5AM-9AM, if i dont answer aim or the phone, im probbly asleep...

Ok, i better get out of here...

Chris

few more ?'s, (i asked via AIM, but he wisely figured other people might have a few similiar questions)

1) i prepayed for the 24g.... wanted to know if when it comes out if i can pay 80 for the ICA chiller... instead of the $100 OR do i pay $80 for the chiller now, to have it installed on the 24g whenever it comes.

nanocustoms: all cubes will have teh ICA added for 79 each

nanocustoms: from now until the time i drop it even more

2) any progress on the fuge light for the 6g?

nanocustoms: do'h

nanocustoms: i need to post that

nanocustoms: still nothing, poeple have been using some other methods tho

3)and thremal cutoff... is that a temp controller for the ICA?

nanocustoms: no, thats for the MH

nanocustoms: in teh event of fan failure

4) is there any kind of a controller you will be selling for the ICA/ heater?

nanocustoms: eventually

nanocustoms: will be "ready for it"

Thanks Chris. I think it helps to share the info you have and keep the knowledge flowing.

I would definitely be interested in your protein skimmer once you have got it finalized.

Nick

You guys are the masters. I just do what you ask... Lol. but in all honesty, i am very very impressed by the skill you guys have in coming up with your DIY mods. You push the bar by asking questions and together we come up with solutions.

Its also why most of my work has been "open" to NR.com, although I have a business interest in nanocustoms, I feel my desire to openly share what i am doing with you guys without any smoke and mirrors, contributes to the health of the community and hobby...

On the "wheres mikeguerrero?" front, mikey called me today to talk about Shao and the others, and how it was always my desire to have this "culture" of modding progress. Whether or not I had anything to do with that progression is up to interpretation...

Still I stare endlessly at this box of water, and wonder how we can make it better. Keep them coming guys.

Chris

Oh yeah, I'll be all over a protein skimmer that fits into one of the chambers. Should I place my order now and get on a waiting list?

shao-lin nano

any idea on which "type" of skimming you plan on implementing for the nanocustom skimmer?

nanocustoms.com

Today was a hellish day of LA Traffic, 5 hour corporate meetings, and a nice meeting with one of the fellow reefers, followed by more Hellish LA Traffic.

I will be responding to emails i havent been able to answer late tonight...

Thanks for your support and I will be getting back to you soon..

Chris

Chris,

Does this mean that you already have the 24g 05's? You mentioned that they would start shipping out on June 1st after you have had them for a week or were you talking about the ICA?

Thanks

nanocustoms.com

I was referring to the ICA. I have my fingers crossed on the 05s (they are gonna call me once they are in).

Chris

nanocustoms.com

Rott- Skimmer will be the next thing in the design queue after the ICA controller gets built.

It should fit in chamber 1 (intake) or 2. Im going to try to make it work in both.

Chris

Originally posted by nanocustoms.com

Rott- Skimmer will be the next thing in the design queue after the  ICA controller gets built.  

It should fit in chamber 1 (intake) or 2. Im going to try to make it work in both.

Chris

Why not chamber 3? I know there are those of us that have a sponge & LR in #1 and LR & fuge in #2.

yellowbird53

Chris, I know your busy, but I needd to know what the best config I can get to get the most light out of my 24dx, I have a mod in my cart on the site, but I want to discuss it with you first. Please PM me. Thanks

Namaste

Originally posted by yellowbird53

Chris, I know your busy, but I needd to know what the best config I can get to get the most light out of my 24dx, I have a mod in my cart on the site, but I want to discuss it with you first.  Please PM me.  Thanks

Namaste

He's offline right now. Which mod are you looking into?

Archived