Coral Vue Hydros

ProFlatlander15's 29Gal Project

ProFlatlander15

ProFlatlander15

well...the second tank cracked as well...in the same exact spot, after the same amount of time. argh....i guess the overflow box was too heavy, and had too much water in it or sumthing...sucks cuz i did a damn good job drilling. tomorrow ima get my 3rd (yes, third) 29g. i am only going to drill 2 holes for returns, and two holes for external durso, with an internal overflow. if they are all at the same level, the tank should not crack. 2 34/" returns, 2 1" draind with an internal overflow box and external dursos. this had better work.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ProFlatlander15

yea...with the internal overflow, can i drill the holes at the bottom of the tank, and run the capped end of the durso to above the water line? i wanna space out the holes as best i can, so i can avoid any more cracking....ahhhhh

ProFlatlander15

duh...lol i didnt even think of that. i talked to my LFS and he said maybe even to go with a 1 1/4" drain becasue they use them for pools so they are easy to get and that should be a sufficient size.

Yulp, I will be drilling the next tank I get. Hopefully it will be in the 40-50 gallon range :D that's how i will do the intake for my sump.

ProFlatlander15

ok....i finally got my 3rd 29g, drilled it and everything in the past week. i used two skimmer bulkheads for pools, and used a reducer to get them to 1". i hope to have pics up by tomorrow night.

ProFlatlander15

my 3rd tank, drilled and ready for water testing! the two white bulkheads are skimmer bulkheads for outdoor pools(1 1/4") reduced down to 1". for internal overflows, i am going to go with a 4"diameter PVC drain pipe and cut it in half. i am going to drill notches in the top and seal it around the bulkheads and spray paint it.

the front of my tank, ready for water testing...

143543rd_Tank_front.jpg

the back, showing some simple plumbing and ready to go!

143543rd_tank_back.jpg

ill be testing for water soundness today...

Wait, how are you going to get the water out of the tank to the sump? I thougt you weren't going to notch it again and use the Overflow Strainer?

ProFlatlander15

you can, i have one on my ten gallon i built meself, but with an HOB overflow (often expensive), you have to worry about siphon breakage. the one on my 10 gal i am very happy with though. other than a possible siphon break, there really isnt anything wrong with them.

ProFlatlander15

yea, i like the size of 29Gs. speaking of size, remember how the 1st 29g i drilled was old? yea, well, apparently AGA changed the length like 1/8", making my stand too short to hold the new 29Gs. i had toi take off a side and put a spacer in. grrr... for overflows, i am using 4inch PVC drain pipe cut in half, with teeth cut on the tops. i do not know if this will be able to overflow enough water, so if anyone has any ideas/problems with this design, please speak up! thx

thx schaadrak

• 2 weeks later...
ProFlatlander15

new updates, my summer job started so i am really busy, but here is what i have accomplished in the past few weeks after breaking two tanks:

the overflows in place... i used a 4" PVC drain pipe and cut notches in it...i hope that can handle the flow.

14354Overflows_in_place.jpg

my exterior plumbing...not beautiful, but a masterpiece none-the-less...

14354Exterior_Plumbing.jpg

interior plumbing...i am going to have a baffle on either side of the tank where the drains empty to avoid turbulence, and a 3 sided baffle around my pump, which will sit in the middle as shown. its different, and i hope it works.

14354Interior_Plumbing.jpg

ProFlatlander15

krylon fusion, 2 coats. tomorrow i am going to add baffles, and hopefully water test by tuesday. thx trav, ur tank is looking awesome as well, a just a lil bit farther along, lol

nice plumbing job.

That electric panel will come in handy. I find that to be one of the most annoying aspects of my tanks...wires upon wires, lol.

Originally posted by ProFlatlander15

krylon fusion, 2 coats.

Are you insane!? That stuff will deterriorate and go toxic in your water column. Some one corrent me if I am worng :(

Don't know for sure... but have read posts by people using KRYLON on a tank's interior with no ill effects. I think he's okay.

Wish I'd seen this thread before you went through so many tanks... I've set up several external overflow boxes. I had some crackage until I started affixing pieces of cell cast arclyic to the back wall for added support. Seems to really make a difference.

Good luck with the tank... those internal boxes look sweet.

ProFlatlander15

trav, i have used krylon fusion on PVC in my 10 gal with no problems...

thx belowH20

stanley, thx for the advice, a little late, but hey, i know for next time. such a simple solution...awwww...oh well. thx for the tip

ProFlatlander15

baffles ready to go, waiting for caulk to cure so i can water test...

from the top...each drain will empty into the baffle on either side of the tank, and the pump sits in the space in the middle.

14354Baffles_2.jpg

from the front...

14354Baffles_1.jpg

ProFlatlander15

thx trav, its a standard 15G. btw, i cut the glass myself which makes me proud! i used one of those cheapo glass cutting tools and sanded down the edges with me power sander.

Archived