ReefCleaners.org

Moving two tanks into one big one

Asterix

I know this isnt all the way nano related, but some of it is and you guys are smarter than the others ;)

Ok, I need advice on my proposed plan. PLEASE feel free to offer better advice

I am going to be moving into a new house soon, Which requires moving tanks…Since I am getting a house it means more room, More room means bigger tank. So I went out and bought a drilled 125G. Currently I have two 29G Tanks at my house, 1 reef, 1 FOWLR. My plan is to do this

When I buy my new house, Take the 125 to the house That I am moving into, Throw down a 2” Southdown bed and put about 1 inch of established water just enough to get the sand wet and everything. When it comes time to move, I am going to buy 3 Rubbermaid’s to transport my stuff with… 1 for the live rock from both tanks, 1 for the live sand from both tanks, and one for the coral…. I will also have several gas cans to transport the water from my tanks and transport fish in a few bags (not many)…. Basically what iam going to do is fill up the 125 with the established water I bring over from my two tanks, then dump the sand in, then throw down the rocks I have…Then put the fish and corals in…. Then the 125 should be halfway full, Over the course of the next few days I would slowly add water to fill it up the rest of the way…. Now, did I just avoid a new cycle here? Everything that I will be using is already established, basically, I am putting two tanks into one using only what was in those two tanks (except for the new SD sandbed)…I could do the whole move process in under 30 minutes…I am talking everything…. Can anyone think of a better way? Please give me advice! Or will this work great and iam a genius?

Thanks

-David-

Sounds like a reasonable plan to me.

How deep are the sand bed of the current tanks?

If they're deep, you've got a lot of live that is anaerobic (as expected), to which oxygen is toxic.  When you dump that sand itno the new aquarium, most of that anaerobic life will die, and can trigger another cycle.

The existing de-nitrifying bacteria can probably handle the sudden load fairly well, but that would be my one concern.  If you do have a DSB, and you're paranoid like me, I'd only reuse the top 1"-2" of the old sandbed.

Good luck, though.  I think you've got a good strategy here.

Archived