inTank Media Baskets

12G Nano DIY refuge light

Seanewb

After alot of searching and surfing I think I found the perfect lighting setup for the back of the nano cube. I decided on cold cathode after finding out that the bright white cold cathode ran at 6500k which should be daylight temp and perfect for the fuge. I found that info here along with the 12vdc powersupply that already has the pc 4pin plug attached (you may be able to make this yourself). Next I went to www.elwirecheap.com and bought this. I'll be updating this post with pictures of the install soon!

artarmon42

Very interesting :o

This might be a savior in terms of heat and light-spillage...

Put up pictures and let us know if it's actually able to grow macro algae ;)

Yes true chronicles I'm just banking on it being the same 6500k temp. Hopefully it will grow the chateo only time will tell.

Ok so here's what I did.

These are the supplies I used. Step1.jpg

Metal Tape, Velcro, and the double sided tape that came with the cathodes.

Step1asupplies.jpg

Cold cathode kit 2 6" tubes and the ballast with 2 plug ins and on off switch. P1010001.jpg

12vdc powersupply with 4 pin pc plug

First I placed some of the metal tape under the hood. I'm hoping to get most of the light directed toward the refuge. Step2.jpg

Next I used the double sided tape that came with the cathode kit to stick the cathodes together.

Step3.jpg

Step4.jpg

Then added the velcro to one side of the cathodes.

Step5.jpg

Next I added the velcro under the hood.

Step6.jpg

And stuck the cathodes to the velcro.(If this works I'll be using a more permanent solution epoxy,superglue, or something like that)

Step7.jpg

Here is what it looks like completed with the lights on.

Step7AllDone.jpg

If the chateo grows I'll mount the on/off switch in the hood. This shouldn't be too hard just cutting the hole and inserting the switch which looks just like the cube lighting switch. I'll also be cleaning up the wiring in the back. I hope this works! I'll keep you guys informed on the progress. Now off to get some chateo!

I should add that there is a some light spillage because I'm running the non dx hood. I'll be blacking out the backside of the splash guard hopefully that will take care of this.

i dont think its possible to prevent light spill. as artman has mentioned. i even have a reflector over my fuge light and black tape but it still gets into the main display area thru the skimmer.

its the nature of the beast i guess.

artarmon42

I'm pretty certain they're not submersible!

I dropped one of mine in way back (if you do a search, you'll actually find that I was an early cold cathode pioneer ;) ) and it shorted out.

I am hitting Home Depot for some Weather Stripping to stop the light spillage. And yes, I went ahead and ordered the 13w daylight bulb instead of the 18w 50/50 I am currently using. Should be here Friday!

Yes I agree with art, they look very submersible except for the ends where the wires go in don't look sealed. But if you found a way to see them it may just work. Mabey silicone or acrylic glue or something?

Archived