Cultivated Reef

Filter Question, very important

Djm9288

SLO,

I think the fact he's working for below minimum wage (which is minimum $5.15 nation-wide) is slightly overshadowed by the fact he's too young to work legally, unless it's for a family or personal business, in which case the wage laws don't apply.

I feel for anyone doing this hobby on a tight budget.  It seems every week I'm spending more money on it.  

I have every thing i need right now. I just got back from petsmart and i bought a penguin 125. AbSoluTc- do you have any LR i really need that, I have everything except a protein skimmer, powerhead and 15 LBS LR.

Daniel

Djm,

I would get rid of the filter pad in the pengiun.  It will rob your water of valuable nutrients and minerals.  Stick with doing weekly 10% water changes and you'll be fine without it.  You can put plain floss in there if you want to filter out particles from the water, which isn't necessarilly a bad idea, as long as you replace or wash the floss with hot water frequently, as Toyfreek suggested.

Otherwise, I'd compeltely scrap the filter and spend the money on powerheads.  You need water movement, not filtration.  Get two small powerheads, like Rio Mini-50s or 90s.  You can usually find them for around $11 each.  Since you're on a budget, start with just one.  That's cheaper than the penguin filter, which is really just superfluous.

As for liverock, you can try to save money by buying mostly dead rock (argocrete), and then adding the nice bacteria and algae, such as with a single high-quality piece of live rock, or a pound of garf grunge ($5, www.garf.org), which is worth every penny.

Also, you don't need a skimmer.  They're nice, but overkill on a small aquarium.  Stick with regular water changes and save the money.  If you want one, get it later, but most people here are keeping icnredible tanks without one.

Good luck,

Matthew

try searching ebay. i had found used stuff on there all the time. i bought the 125 used with a bunch of misc items, like a heater, air pump, air stones, a 15W coral flourescent bulb. all for only $20.

Archived