Coral Vue Hydros

Filter Question, very important

Djm9288

I was wondering what would be better for a 10 gallon nano, an aquaclear mini, or an H.O.T. Magnum

Thanks,

Daniel

The best fileration would be a mix of all three. Chemical , Mechanical and Biological. Well none of those have the bio wheel, so i would think that any would do as chemical and mechanical filteration.

People have been saying that a bio wheel does not do a lot of good, and the live rock does a better job. I personally dont use the bio wheel, but any of those filters would do a good job.

speaking of biowheels, would it work out on my nano to have a penguin biowheel w/o the biowheel. (im getting 15 lbs of LR) I hate my mini. it collects nothing, i dont like how messy it is and i hate the sponge. I want all biologiacl filtration in the tank.

Daniel

Why would u want all bio fileration in the tank? What happens to the crap that floats around. Well I am running my nano without a bio-wheel and I think that its doing good. There is a big post about bio-wheels in this forums as someone mentioned to me before. I did a search and read up on that and decided to forget the bio-wheel.

you know what i mean. So would you reccommmend a penguin or not, because my aquaclear doesnt pick up all the debris in my tank, also when i pull out the "media cart" The debris fall back into the tank.

i have a 125 pengiun in my tank. awhile back i had the filter running with a floss pad inside it to pick up loose sand and stuff to keep the water clear. but now i run it without the floss pad. i do this because bacteria starts to grow on the pad and it will compete with your LR for food.

Im asking a simple question. Would a penguin WITH its required filter pad(That they sell especially for it) do a good enough job on a 10 gal nano?

Thanks( I dont mean to be hostile, But im tired after spending a whole day at Six Flags)

Daniel

Yes the penguin filter does a good job. You said you are not getting the mini right. Make sure u get the 125 one. You have 15lbs of live rock which will also help you out.

I was wondering how big is a penguin 125? (Iwant to know so that I can cut an appropriate hole in my hood)

Daniel

So do u have the eclipse hood or what? You also mentioned u have 15W NO. I think that you would need more light. I would think about the light before anything else.

I had a previous post about that. That lighting is just temporary, until my retrofit PC kit (makes it so i will have 2 x 13 watt) from A H Supply comes in the mail. I also ordered 2 x13 watt combo bulbs(half 10k daylght and have actinic in each bulb, so i will have 2 of them)

no i just have a glass hood w/ a plastic strip on the back. and i already have a 5 inch hole in the back from my aquaclear mini

Get more light. I would recommend 2 X 32Watts. I know people getting away with 32W in a 7Gal. You know what dont make a mistake like what I made. I thought that I would get 2X 15W NO and so I did. Now I have 1X 55W PC. This all happend in 1 month. If you are going to have fish only without corals then its okay otherwise get more.

lose the filter pad or wash it with very hot water at least once a week to avoid competing with your rock and sand.

Toy

Guest AbSoluTc

Get a Millenium 3000 I beleive it is.  I used to use the one I had.  Works great.  It has a plastic bio grid as a cartridge and you can use floss/carbon if need as well.  Excellent circulation and doesnt get messy.

Marineland, Tetratec and Aquaclear - IMO are all cheap.

I ordered the thing already. Its too late, i will only keep fish LR and maybe soft corals.

Daniel

Please keep in mind that I only get $8 allowance and i work at the school concession stand for only $4.00 an hour. So im on a tight budget.

Daniel  

Yeah it can be tough with a tight budget. But also remember about the long run. You will be investing all this money on coral. I am sure that you want the best for them and a love life.  

So if anyone is willing to sell anything cheap to a 13 yr old that is starting this wonderful hobby.( Or give anything Hint Hint)

Daniel

well i am sure you can find deals out on the internet somewhere. I am sure that there are people that are willing to sell you their used stuff for like nothing.

well if someone wants to sell some stuff for near nothign send them my way...im buying ha ha...seriosuly though...i need some cheap lights. i feel your pain man. for the filter the penguin 125 is fine. it is about 7 or 8 inches wide...what state do you live in? in ca it is illegal to work for less than 6.25 or 6.75 an hour no matter what age you are or whatever....if you live in Ca you can sue for like child laborthen you will ahve plenty of money for your tank..ha ha

(Edited by SLOreefer at 2:11 am on June 5, 2002)

I Live in Missouri. its onlya cpnceesion stand, not a major company, so im satisfied with 4 bucks an hour.

Daniel

Guest AbSoluTc

As I have said previously, I will not mind helping out fellow reefers. I posted a reply in a thread a while back explaining this.

In the thread I explained I will give sand, rubble rock and anything else I could to reefers on "budgets" or reefers of a younger age.

NO I AM NOT A PEDOPHILE!  Jeesh!  Im only 22 d*mnit! :)

Anyways, Djm9288 - I have a millenium 3000 that I no longer use.  It was on my 20gal Long that I no longer have setup.  If you would like it, let me know.  Shipping will be around 5 bux maybe?  All I ask is that when you get your tank up and going, you remember me by giving me a frag on day :)  Thats all I ask.

Again, if anyone needs something, let me know.  I also have a 100w ebo jager heater if anyone wants that.  All you pay is shipping.  Oh, and I have a 20l that I want to get rid of.

Kris.

Archived