Cultivated Reef

cleaning?

arqberry

Im really interested in setting up a pico reef... probably a 2gal tank I saw at the lfs the other day, with a custom overflow and mini fuge(plans for this are still in the works, may end up just forgeting about the minifuge and using a HOB filter). My question is, how often and to what extent must a pico reef need to be cleaned?

I usually have to scrape the sides of my 20gal weekly, in coordination with a 10% H20 change. Is there anything different with the pico reefs, with only corals and 2 maybe 3 crabs, and 2 or 3 snails?

When I had my .75g cube I just used an unused toothbrush to clean the inside of the tank when needed. Didn't do much else.

I have a 2.5g and I dont clean the glass much, I think the last time I did it was about a month ago when I did a water change. I have a snail, and a small star fish in there that keep every thing quite clean. I also have these little bugs that seem to eat up every thing on the glass, not too sure what they are, but they dont seem to bother any thing in the tank.

So other then bi weekly water changes not much else that I do for cleaning.

neanderthalman

thats what a cleanup crew is for. coralline growth is slow enough that you shouldn't have to scrape your glass more than every few months, unless of course it really bothers you to have a little pink spot on the glass.

Toothbrush works wonders when you need it, but you shouldn't with an appripriate snail. I started with an astrea, which didn't seem to clean anything. I had to clean it every 4 days or so with the toothbrush. After I got the margarita, I haven't had to touch it once.

Archived