Cultivated Reef

Just Installed My Refugium Light!

Web Guy

I just finished installing my 18 watt 50/50 set up in my 12G DX. I took it out of another tank I had that I bought and did not use. I even used all of the grommets so it looks nice. I mounted a larger 20MM fan in there facing down to blow air around inside the lid and then one slim fan 5MM above the 18watt facing out to exhaust the hot air. I am running those off of a power adapter. Will run some test tomorrow on heat and see how it works out.

Now I need to figure out how to stop the light excaping into the tank. Maybe a piece of weather stripping or something. I would like to run that light at least 14-16 hours a day. I plan on running Cheato in the 3rd chamber. I run the LR rubble in chamber 2. Anyone have an idea of something I can place between the algae and the pump in chamber 3? I do not want the Cheato getting sucked into it. Maybe a filter of some sort.

I bought it before I bought the 12G DX. I got it, it sucked, I stuck it away for future use. I was not going to stick $1500 in corals in a crappy tank. So Maybe a fresh for my son. If that ever happens I will just stick another light in it.

This 18watt 50/50 should grow that Cheato easy back there. Tomorrow I guess I need to find some weather stripping or something to stop the light getting into the tank.

artarmon42
Originally posted by Web Guy

Now I need to figure out how to stop the light excaping into the tank. Maybe a piece of weather stripping or something.

The amount of light spill is crazy isn't it? 8)

Weather stripping is good... just get the extra thick kind.

Originally posted by Web Guy

I plan on running Cheato in the 3rd chamber. I run the LR rubble in chamber 2. Anyone have an idea of something I can place between the algae and the pump in chamber 3? I do not want the Cheato getting sucked into it. Maybe a filter of some sort.

Yup, gotta be extra careful with stray Chaeto.

You want to avoid a scene like this :(

NC-Back-2.JPG

What's in your Chamber 1?

I have LR there and LR/Chaeto in Chamber 2.

That way I can put Polyfitler (any filter material would work) right on the edge of Chamber 2 to help (but not totally prevent) Chaeto from going into Chamber 3.

Whereever you put Chaeto, proper maintenance is really important.

Chronicles

Chamber 1 I use a stock sponge half way down, with either 1 of 2 setups: Top to bottom: 1) Filter Floss 2)Micron sheet 3)sponge, or 1) filter floss 2)sponge. Running the micro sheet thing I don't get any crap going to the back. I can look down mine and they're clean.

Chamber 2 I have 1 piece of tonga branch going down, and at the top I took the cover to the stock powerhead off and turned it upside down, suctioned it to the wall so it acts like a cheato shelf.

Chamber 3 I have a filter bag filled with phosgaurd and renew, ebo heater, and mini606.

Ok, I have nothing but one foam pad in chamber 1 and stock pump behind grate, LR 3/4 of the way in Chamber 2 with the Cheato on top of it. Chamber 3 is my purigen bag, heater and pump. I will try this set up and see how this work. So how do you like the RENEW? Should I try that? Does it work well on keeping the water clear?

So you guys think that the 18watt light will not work as well as the 13watt? I can swap that out with ease if needed. I am watching the temps today to see how it ends up. I am really not worried about the fans in the hood since I count on my stand up fan to be my real cooler.:)

Chronicles & artarmon42 - Thanks for the always helpful advise.:)

Archived